Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mtink will not display results

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

(SOLVED) mtink will not display results

When browsing through the help I saw that the above would display the contents on my ink cartridges so I duly downloaded it only to find that it would not properly work.

What would appear to be the display shows up but does not display the contents and although there are varying boxed at the foot of the display they are either greyed out or do not function. Additionally an error message is displayed and reference is made to documentation that I am unable to access.

I append screen shots for information and ask how may I resolve matters.
    Last edited by Scunnered; October 7th, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
    If you are here to drink to forget please pay in advance.

Intel Dual Core T2390 1.86Ghz; Intel GMA x 3100 graphics, Atheros AR242x802.11 a/b/g. 1GB RAM.

Beans

Re: mtink will not display results

I use to use an Epson printer and if I remember correctly mtink ran from within a terminal using the sudo command. I think there was also a problem with users having to belong to a certain group but I'm not sure about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Scunnered View Post
    When browsing through the help I saw that the above would display the contents on my ink cartridges so I duly downloaded it only to find that it would not properly work.

What would appear to be the display shows up but does not display the contents and although there are varying boxed at the foot of the display they are either greyed out or do not function. Additionally an error message is displayed and reference is made to documentation that I am unable to access.

I append screen shots for information and ask how may I resolve matters.
    Looking at the second screen shot, it looks like you, as the user, must be a member of the "lp" group.

To add yourself to this group, go to System/Administration/Users and Groups and open it up. After you Unlock it with your password, click the Manage Groups button and look for a group named lp. Highlight it, click the Properties button and tick the box next to your username, and any other users that will need the same access.

Click Okay, close all the windows and try it out.

I hope this helps...

Beans

There's an easier way to do that ...

Presuming your username is "joe", you would just open an terminal and type "sudo adduser joe lp". This adds the user joe to the lp group.

To check if that worked, from the same terminal, type "cat /etc/group | grep lp". You should get a reply something like "lp:7:joe:
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; May 4th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    There's an easier way to do that ...

Presuming your username is "joe", you would just open an terminal and type "sudo adduser joe lp". This adds the user joe to the lp group.

To check if that worked, from the same terminal, type "cat /etc/group grep lp". You should get a reply something like "lp:7:joe:
    Thanks Mark. I learn something new every day if I'm not careful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My thanks to you all for your assistance.

I had a look at Mark's suggestion and it appeared to work but when applying the second instruction it displayed a lot of info ending with

"cat: grep: No such file or directory

cat: lp: No such file or directory
    "

Tried mtink but still same error message.

Went to Didius Falco when looking for lp in manage groups the only thing that I could find was a group lpadmin and on opening properties found that I was listed.

Tried again but still no joy even after adding root to lpadmin.

Where do we go from here?

Intel Dual Core T2390 1.86Ghz; Intel GMA x 3100 graphics, Atheros AR242x802.11 a/b/g. 1GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro

You can create that group from the Users and Groups management utility, so just create it and add yourself to it, then log out and back in. It may require a reboot.

I went and had a look at that util, and it's a bit long in the tooth - from before I started using linux, so it's possible that was a group in widespread use earlier in the decade that isn't created by default anymore.

On Edit: I just did a search and I already have an lp group, but it isn't showing up in the Users and Groups utility. I'm off to see what I can find out - meanwhile, hold off on creating it, though I suspect it wouldn't let you anyway...

Hopefully, that'll get you fixed up.
    Last edited by Didius Falco; May 4th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Run this command and post the output:

Code:
    cat /etc/group | grep lp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Didius Falco

THis is the result of your request.

"ian@ian-laptop:~$ cat /etc/group | grep lp
    lp:1001:ian,root
    lpadmin:106:ian,root
    ian@ian-laptop:~$"

I clicked in error on mtink when going for the terminal and now mtink is showing something different. But not a lot as the next button does nothing.

Beans
    Distro

Have you rebooted since you added yourself to the lp group? If not, do so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast