Thread: nautilus-actions Places->Desktop opens with wrong app

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nautilus-actions Places->Desktop opens with wrong app

Update: See the resolution to this problem on this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1151325

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Places Menu "Desktop" and "Home Folder" and all my bookmarks open with the Mirage image viewer instead of opening with nautilus.

I installed Mirage and the Nautilus-Actions packages and opened a folder with mirage, by selecting open with other application, and selecting it from the list.

Windows opened via nautilus work just fine, but i have to get an instance of it open first.

I've selected folders and told them to open with "open folder" from the list, and even tried supplying 'nautilus' as the command. I've seen references to an "open with..." tab in file properties, but I do not have one. likely related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...63/+viewstatus

If i uninstall nautilus actions, the problem goes away, so I'm guessing that it has something to do with the problem.

any ideas?
    Last edited by doas777; August 27th, 2009 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: nautilus-actions Places->Desktop opens with wrong app

hmmm. the issue still persists if I remove nautilus-actions and leave mirage in place. I guess it's a gnome/nautilus thing after all.

I'm doing a search of my hdd looking for files with text containing 'mirage' but it'll take alnight to complete.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok, since there are no hits here, and I've established that the issue is not with nautilus-actions. i will close this thread, and open a new one based on a the gnome issue specifically.

I hate to create a new thread, but can't figure out how to edit the thread title (and I've looked). based on this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=839064 it is not possible without admin intervention, and I imagine that they are too busy to be bothered about it.

thanks,
    Franklin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

this issue has been addressed on the thread linked above (5/6 post). check it out!

Beans

gedit .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

and in the section
    [Added Associations]

find the following line and make it similar to this:

inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

by removing the extra launchers (the first one is most probably your "wrong" application)

Beans

All this time using ubuntu and I never had the problem till recently with my new install of ultimate edition 2.8.
    Here's what happens
    I wanted to open not just a single song but to open the whole file with VLC (not the default)
    when I opened the folder with VLC, nautilus made VLC the default...Not for music files...but for file folders.
    it is not a glitch or a bug.
    It was me!
    I opened the file folder with nautilus setting VLC as the default becuase I did not uncheck "remember this..." which is by default checked positive
    So I unchecked "remember..." and VLC now is the top selection on the list of apps in Nautilus i can chose to open the folder with but it is not set as the default and the folder opens normally in file browser.

This thread taught me how to fix it
    And my post here will teach you how to not break it again.
    Bye bye