Thread: YAWcam type app for Linux?

Beans

YAWcam type app for Linux?

In Windows there is an excellent freeware app called "YAWCam" - it's a simple to set up and use webcam app. It can either stream webcam images to the web or periodically take a snapshot and email it out... I use it to check in with my apartment during the day to keep tabs on the cat (It's how I found out that she DOES sleep all day!)....

Is there anything like it for Linux? I am using Linux mint and Ubuntu at home... I could boot up to windows in one of the computers and use it that way, but I would much rather keep a Linux only environment...
    Visit my web site Tim's Movie Site

Beans

Re: YAWcam type app for Linux?

bump

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wookietim View Post
    In Windows there is an excellent freeware app called "YAWCam" - it's a simple to set up and use webcam app. It can either stream webcam images to the web or periodically take a snapshot and email it out... I use it to check in with my apartment during the day to keep tabs on the cat (It's how I found out that she DOES sleep all day!)....

Is there anything like it for Linux? I am using Linux mint and Ubuntu at home... I could boot up to windows in one of the computers and use it that way, but I would much rather keep a Linux only environment...
    I guess camsource would do the trick , but only if it would have a GUI . I could´n find it yet. As far as I have seen in other posts , there are very few chances to see soon a linux version of yawcam.
    I have also tried to install yawcam under wine (after installing java.exe , winetricks with windos media player ) and it was ok only with the install ; as for the application to work , I didn´t have so much luck : it just closes itself. Meebe someone with some experience in linux and wine could help us
    Last edited by gmoctav; May 19th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

Beans

Wink Re: YAWcam type app for Linux?

Beans

I found this little shindig here:
    http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...oad-28762.html

Seems pretty good. Apparently it was written by Google during one of their summers of code deals. I just downloaded it and have yet to install it (Im new to Ubuntu/Linux so im still getting the hang of having to manually move things around). If anyone tests it out, let me know, thnx

Beans

Actually, if it helps, I discovered something very easy that can do exactly the same things as YawCam and it was kind of unexpected : The Opera Web Browser...

Opera has a server embedded in it now and a free app for that server that allows it to stream a webcam to a free web page. The web page that Opera provides even has chat on it... The browser works great with the webcam I have and seems to be a really easy way to do that.

Beans

Looking for the same sort of thing:

Here seems to be some useful suggestions:

http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/p...a-linux-webcam

I am going to check zonereminder soon.