Thread: need a video streaming app with text chat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question need a video streaming app with text chat

Can anyone recommend a nice, easy, app that will stream video (with audio) over the internet?

The idea is that I want to show a video to friends. They would either get a custom URL, or log-in, and be able to watch the video (mainly AVI's) that I'm streaming. Ideally it should also do a text chat, so that we can discuss the video being streamed.

Does such a thing exist?

I hope so!

Thanks!
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: need a video streaming app with text chat

ustream.tv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: need a video streaming app with text chat

Quote Originally Posted by blackgr View Post
    ustream.tv
    Unless I'm mistaken, Ustream doesn't allow the streaming of a video file from the PC, only video sent from a webcam...

...but I'm open to ideas...
    Ronnie
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, Ustream doesn't allow the streaming of a video file from the PC, only video sent from a webcam...

...but I'm open to ideas...
    I'm fairly sure Ustream captures video from a video interface, meaning you could set up your screen as an interface and stream anything that goes over your screen.

Stickam and justin.tv are also options. Or Vimeo/Youtube if you just want to upload the video and let it sit...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bashveank View Post
    I'm fairly sure Ustream captures video from a video interface, meaning you could set up your screen as an interface and stream anything that goes over your screen.

Stickam and justin.tv are also options. Or Vimeo/Youtube if you just want to upload the video and let it sit...
    I'd rather stream it from my PC if possible as my broadband is pretty slow, it'd take me, literally, hours to upload a video to Vimeo etc.

I've tried WebcamStudio, but I don't seem to get the audio streaming, only video.
    Ronnie