Thread: Need help getting stereo output over SPDIF (ac3 is fine!)

Beans

Need help getting stereo output over SPDIF (ac3 is fine!)

Last week I thought I'd take the plunge and move to Ubuntu on my media center. Almost everything worked out of the box but I've still got a lingering audio issue that is a show stopper. I'm certain it's just a config issue but I'm too much of a Linux dummy to properly understand everything that's going on.

Hardware specs:
    ASUS P5B-VM DO motherboard with onboard audio and optional SPDIF module installed.
    Connected to 5.1 receiver via optical cable
    (any other hardware relevant?)

9.04 64 bit edition (vanilla install)

I was able to get the drivers installed (or they were already there... I've been around and around this issue a few times ).

Results of aplay -l:
    Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    my ultimate goal is to run Boxee or XBMC so it is my understanding that I just have to get everything playing nice in MPlayer. Almost there...

When I play an ac3-encoded video in MPlayer or XBMC it works great (though in MPlayer I do get a modal error about the sound, but it plays fine).
    When I play a stereo video (or any system sound) I get nothing.

I already ran alsamixer and unmuted all channels, so at this point I think I just have a conf file misconfigured.

I just want stereo sound to work - I don't care if it's only coming out of the front speakers< cloned to the rear channels< or even bloody mono!

If someone wouldn't mind taking me through the 20 questions game I would really appreciate it. I was able to find a few threads but most people either had the opposite problem (only stereo worling) or their solution didn't match my issue.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Need help getting stereo output over SPDIF (ac3 is fine!)

Ah, got it.
    It's an ALSA bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...nux/+bug/25632

There's a workaround posted by Jean Francois about halfway down the page that seems to have done the trick.

Beans

Re: Need help getting stereo output over SPDIF (ac3 is fine!)

Yes! Thank you for posting your solution. Works like a charm. You rock!