Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: use Skype with Jaunty notifcations (notify-osd)

Beans

Re: use Skype with Jaunty notifcations (notify-osd)

Hi,
    I downloaded this script, and it was great but a bit buggy. The messaging menu didnt light up and the messages didnt show up on the menu like "echo123 0min" for some reason, and it didnt work if the skype window was closed and running in the background. So, I tried to improve it - now the messaging menu lights up, and it uses the cruddy skype dbus api to integrate better with skype. It also sorta works for group convos, just set the chat topic to include everyone's names as they are on skype. It works for me in both maverick and in natty (after I upgraded).
    Please do tell me if it works for you. (attached) See the file called INSTALL for how to install my version. Do not use ~ when replacing the /path/to's, you must use the full path, i.e. /home/username/whatever

What is more, if you are on natty, you can remove skype from unity's top bar completely! All you need to do is open terminal and enter "gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist" - this will get this current whitelist for the notification tray. You can remove skype from it by doing:

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'hp-systray']

Ah the joys of open source ^_^
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by not_insane; April 30th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Beans

This seems to be working for me so far! I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

I rely on Skype a lot, so thanks not_insane!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Can someone tell me, how to remove Skype from the messaging menu?
    Tried to delete the .config/applications/ but skype remains the memenu evn now useless.

I'm sorry, it didn't work as expected, don't know why, but no other script notifies me, beside the original one of the thread. I think it has todo with the dbus script, but can't find the error.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not_insane View Post
    Hi,
    I downloaded this script, and it was great but a bit buggy. The messaging menu didnt light up and the messages didnt show up on the menu like "echo123 0min" for some reason, and it didnt work if the skype window was closed and running in the background. So, I tried to improve it - now the messaging menu lights up, and it uses the cruddy skype dbus api to integrate better with skype. It also sorta works for group convos, just set the chat topic to include everyone's names as they are on skype. It works for me in both maverick and in natty (after I upgraded).
    Please do tell me if it works for you. (attached) See the file called INSTALL for how to install my version. Do not use ~ when replacing the /path/to's, you must use the full path, i.e. /home/username/whatever

What is more, if you are on natty, you can remove skype from unity's top bar completely! All you need to do is open terminal and enter "gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist" - this will get this current whitelist for the notification tray. You can remove skype from it by doing:

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'hp-systray']

Ah the joys of open source ^_^
    Have you tested it on natty > gnome classic no effects? I followed the install notes but... no success here
    24/7 E5200@3850 1.25 HDT-S1283|G31M-S2C|2x2 Kingston CL6|500GB Samsung

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paulinchen View Post
    Can someone tell me, how to remove Skype from the messaging menu?
    Tried to delete the .config/applications/ but skype remains the memenu evn now useless.

I'm sorry, it didn't work as expected, don't know why, but no other script notifies me, beside the original one of the thread. I think it has todo with the dbus script, but can't find the error.
    Any specifics? Remember, it wont show up if your status is set to do not disturb. Also, if the original script worked it isnt connecting to the dbus service properly. It should be removed from the messaging menu once you reboot if you deleted the .config/applications directory recursively. Run skype from the command line and when you are meant to get a notification (when the conversation window isn't selected), check the console window and it will tell you if it can connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by syb3ria View Post
    Have you tested it on natty > gnome classic no effects? I followed the install notes but... no success here
    Please give more details - what exactly did you do, and which bits work and which bits dont? Does skype launch when you click the item in the messaging menu? If you run ps aux|grep python|grep -v grep what comes up? Again, try running skype from the command line and check for any messages when you are supposed to get a notification.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

does anyone know if this will wk in gnome-shell or if anyone knows how to adjust the script to make it wk cheers

Beans

It works great for me. Good work and thank you!

I was wondering if it was possible to make a chat window appear when clicking on the name of contacts that I have chatted with earlier in the message menu. Actually I'm not sure if this was the intention, since the message envelope icon stays blue even after I have opened and read the chat message. It suppose that it should turn white again when nothing is pending.

Edit: Oh..Andrewin of Wedupd8 wrote an installation script and a guide for it which makes it a bit easier to set up btw. See http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/skype...notifyosd.html

//Zilvador
    Last edited by Zilvador; May 22nd, 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bmbaker View Post
    does anyone know if this will wk in gnome-shell or if anyone knows how to adjust the script to make it wk cheers
    I don't know, but I dont see why it shouldn't. Do try it and let us know if it works or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilvador View Post
    It works great for me. Good work and thank you!

I was wondering if it was possible to make a chat window appear when clicking on the name of contacts that I have chatted with earlier in the message menu. Actually I'm not sure if this was the intention, since the message envelope icon stays blue even after I have opened and read the chat message. It suppose that it should turn white again when nothing is pending.

Edit: Oh..Andrewin of Wedupd8 wrote an installation script and a guide for it which makes it a bit easier to set up btw. See http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/skype...notifyosd.html

//Zilvador
    It is meant to only show unread messages, and due to a limitation in the skype api I can't fully support group conversations. If the chat window opens, then is it a group conversation? If so, it is a known limitation. A quick and dirty workaround is to edit the group conversation topic and set it to the full names of everyone in the conversation. e.g. you might set the topic to "Echo Test Service John Middle-Name Smith" (careful to use the full name as shown in the skype main window and not the skype username!).

This will make the script work properly, i.e. notification turns message icon blue, you switch to conversation or click the indicator in the messaging menu and the indicator disappears and the message icon turns white again. It works fine for one-on-one conversationsI would work on it a bit more to try and workaround these bugs but I'm currently busy with other things so I will try and improve the script when I have some free time for it!

I also saw that, thanks for the link, I posted in the comments there to help a few people out with problems. I do appreciate that my instructions may be slightly confusing, so I recommend the script there if anyone is struggling with my instructions!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Actually I'm not sure if this was the intention, since the message envelope icon stays blue even after I have opened and read the chat message. It suppose that it should turn white again when nothing is pending.
    i'm also experiencing what zilvador mentions here (envelope stays blue even after reading messages, not group conversations)
    i'm not entirely sure whether it's related to your script or the xfce4-indicator-plugin i'm using along with the xfce4-panel. is there any way to test/debug the python script?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by not_insane View Post
    I don't know, but I dont see why it shouldn't. Do try it and let us know if it works or not!

It is meant to only show unread messages, and due to a limitation in the skype api I can't fully support group conversations. If the chat window opens, then is it a group conversation? If so, it is a known limitation. A quick and dirty workaround is to edit the group conversation topic and set it to the full names of everyone in the conversation. e.g. you might set the topic to "Echo Test Service John Middle-Name Smith" (careful to use the full name as shown in the skype main window and not the skype username!).

This will make the script work properly, i.e. notification turns message icon blue, you switch to conversation or click the indicator in the messaging menu and the indicator disappears and the message icon turns white again. It works fine for one-on-one conversationsI would work on it a bit more to try and workaround these bugs but I'm currently busy with other things so I will try and improve the script when I have some free time for it!

I also saw that, thanks for the link, I posted in the comments there to help a few people out with problems. I do appreciate that my instructions may be slightly confusing, so I recommend the script there if anyone is struggling with my instructions!
    well i tried in gnome-shell using Andrew from webupd8's instructions, and No it didn't wk for me , a shame really !

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast