Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: use Skype with Jaunty notifcations (notify-osd)

Beans

Re: use Skype with Jaunty notifcations (notify-osd)

Quote Originally Posted by bmbaker View Post
    well i tried in gnome-shell using Andrew from webupd8's instructions, and No it didn't wk for me , a shame really !
    Oh, does gnome-shell have a messaging menu? Or are you starting skype from wherever gnome3 lets you start programs from? The script doesnt actually run if you dont use the messaging menu because clicking on the messaging menu item launches it. What you need to do is open up skype-dbus-service.py and find the line that reads 'server_display_cb("startup", 1)' and remove it. This stops skype from starting with the script, and now skype will only start when you start it yourself. Then make the script start on startup (in gnome 2 its by going to system>preferences>startup applications). Now when you launch skype and start talking to someone it should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by not_insane View Post
    Oh, does gnome-shell have a messaging menu? Or are you starting skype from wherever gnome3 lets you start programs from? The script doesnt actually run if you dont use the messaging menu because clicking on the messaging menu item launches it. What you need to do is open up skype-dbus-service.py and find the line that reads 'server_display_cb("startup", 1)' and remove it. This stops skype from starting with the script, and now skype will only start when you start it yourself. Then make the script start on startup (in gnome 2 its by going to system>preferences>startup applications). Now when you launch skype and start talking to someone it should work.
    coolio thanks i try that next
    on another (but related) note John Stowers also did some wk in this direction andrew @ webupd8 posted this today ....
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/gnome...kype.html#more

Beans

Hi,

I've successfully set up this script with Natty, but for some reason when I minimize my Skype window to the messaging menu, I can't restore it, although it continues to run in the background. Is anyone else having this problem?

Beans

Yes, it seems to be a known issue. Clicking on the names in the messaging menu doesn't do anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OakRaider4Life View Post
    Hi,

I've successfully set up this script with Natty, but for some reason when I minimize my Skype window to the messaging menu, I can't restore it, although it continues to run in the background. Is anyone else having this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilvador View Post
    Yes, it seems to be a known issue. Clicking on the names in the messaging menu doesn't do anything.
    That's not meant to happen. Has the script been authorized by skype to access its api? You should have gotten a popup asking for permissions. Under Options>Public API there should be listed "mySkypeController" under the allowed applications. The script certainly works for me (though I guess I dont count since I developed it ) and on a clean natty install on using andrew from webupd8's script or my instructions if followed correctly.

Beans

Yes, it did ask and was approved. The rest also seems to work without trouble, but clicking the names in the menu does nothing.

Edit: Just made a new experiment. It actually does work when there is an unseen conversation, but when the conversation is closed and you try to reopen without any unseen messages, it does not work. Oh...and on a second note...I have tried to rename the conversation into both the user-name and the shown name of the one, I'm chatting with, but the messaging menu icon stays blue no matter what I do.
    Last edited by Zilvador; July 3rd, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: use Skype with Jaunty notifcations (notify-osd)

Hi,
    I downloaded this script, and it was great but a bit buggy. The messaging menu didnt light up and the messages didnt show up on the menu like "echo123 0min" for some reason, and it didnt work if the skype window was closed and running in the background. So, I tried to improve it - now the messaging menu lights up, and it uses the cruddy skype dbus api to integrate better with skype. It also sorta works for group convos, just set the chat topic to include everyone's names as they are on skype. It works for me in both maverick and in natty (after I upgraded).
    Please do tell me if it works for you. (attached) See the file called INSTALL for how to install my version. Do not use ~ when replacing the /path/to's, you must use the full path, i.e. /home/username/whatever

What is more, if you are on natty, you can remove skype from unity's top bar completely! All you need to do is open terminal and enter "gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist" - this will get this current whitelist for the notification tray. You can remove skype from it by doing:

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'hp-systray']

Ah the joys of open source ^_^
    Hi not_insane,

I have just installed it on Natty and it was "almost there". What I was looking for was just a script to highlight the message icon. It does it - later I would try to disable the messages displayed and keep only the icon highlighted.

But I've got and issue:
    It does highlight the icon and let me open the chat by clicking on it. But it never turn back to the default icon (the white icon) after the first event. So if I receive any alert from Skype it turns highlighted forever..

Do you you know how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Ian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ianmaciel View Post
    But I've got and issue:
    It does highlight the icon and let me open the chat by clicking on it. But it never turn back to the default icon (the white icon) after the first event. So if I receive any alert from Skype it turns highlighted forever..

Do you you know how to fix it?
    It is meant to only show unread messages, and due to a limitation in the skype api I can't fully support group conversations. If the chat window opens, then is it a group conversation? If so, it is a known limitation. A quick and dirty workaround is to edit the group conversation topic and set it to the full names of everyone in the conversation. e.g. you might set the topic to "Echo Test Service John Middle-Name Smith" (careful to use the full name as shown in the skype main window and not the skype username!).

This will make the script work properly, i.e. notification turns message icon blue, you switch to conversation or click the indicator in the messaging menu and the indicator disappears and the message icon turns white again. It works fine for one-on-one conversationsI would work on it a bit more to try and workaround these bugs but I'm currently busy with other things so I will try and improve the script when I have some free time for it!
    He answered it already (: . It is because of an unfortunate limitation in the API.

Beans

oh... okay

I missed this answer..

sorry about that...

Beans

On my Natty, for fix problems with "Always blue icon" i changed line 161 in /usr/share/skype-notify-improved/skype-dbus-service.py
    in function display_cb() from
    if contactsIndicated[i] is contact:
    to
    if contactsIndicated[i] == contact:
    And now, if I use username from message system for come to chat window, username disapeared from message menu, and letter icon can be unhilighted. It is not full fix for author's idea, but now it is usable.
    Thanks to not_insane for this great script and sorry for my bad English and python. I see to python code first time...

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast