I wrote a python script to use the new notification system introduced in Jaunty and now I have updated it use work with later releases of Ubuntu.
* Notifies when a contact comes online, when they have a birthday soon or when a file transfer is completed.. And when they send you a message new text is appended in the notification bubble. Of course, message notifications are only shown if the conversation doesn't have focus.
* We now support the Messaging Menu, simply run skype-dbus-service.py. Although for some reason (?) the envelope doesn't go green.
Hope someone finds it useful and this is how to install the script:
* Download the files by typing into a terminal
* open Skype -> menu (the Skype icon in the lower left) -> Options
bzr branch lp:skype-notify
* Press 'Notifications' then 'Advanced View'
* [x] Mark 'Execute the following script on _any_ notification'
* you can enable and disable individual notifications: just uncheck "Display pop-up notification"
python ~/skype-notify/skype-notify.py -e"%type" -n"%sname" -f"%fname" -p"%fpath" -m"%smessage" -s%fsize -u%sskype
* Press 'Apply'