(The following is a copy of Question #69651 which I placed on the Launchpad Ubuntu Forum three hours ago; it has not yet been answered. I do hope that someone on this forum can help me.)

"I recently upgraded from 'Intrepid' to 'Jaunty' on my Acer Extensa 5620-6419 notebook computer.

"Previously I had always used an external CD/DVD drive to rip and write CDs and DVDs. This worked perfectly in 'Hardy' and 'Intrepid.' Now, with this upgrade, my external CD/DVD drive (ATAPI DVD DW 8X16X8X16) continues to work perfectly when

"1) playing back or ripping a recorded CD or DVD, and

"2) recording (burning) a blank CD-R or CD-RW.

"However, when I insert a blank DVD (DVD+R or DVD-R) into it, my computer no longer recognizes the drive. This occurs with Brasero (which I dislike), GnomeBaker, and K3b (my burning program of choice). Thus I must burn DVDs with my notebook computer's built-in CD/DVD drive. I would prefer to be able to burn DVDs with my external drive as previously.

"I find this situation to be strange indeed. Why would my computer recognize the external drive for everything except blank DVDs? Can someone here help me with this problem? Is it a known 'bug' or is it something unique to me?

"Thanks for considering my question"