Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Known Jaunty Jackalope bugs with workarounds

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Known Jaunty Jackalope bugs with workarounds

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    First post updated, thanks all for your feedback.
    It would be good to list the desktop-switcher bug in the first post, too. It is not fixed in Jaunty, yet. So far it only has a fix release for Karmic. There have been a fair number of questions about this in the forums.

Edit: Never mind, I see now that the issue has been added to the release notes.
    Last edited by Brandon Williams; May 14th, 2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: release notes updated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Williams View Post
    Edit: Never mind, I see now that the issue has been added to the release notes.
    Thanks for the update i was adding it when i saw your edit.
    When i first looked at the bug report it was not clear for me than the fix wasn't available for jaunty.

Beans

ATI driver with new Ubuntu 9.04 will give a delay when maximizing or minimizing windows. That's due to a patch that was removed from Xorg for the sake of intel cards. Go figure...make ubuntu less compatible with 40% of the cards in the market (ATI) in order to make it compatible with 10% of the cards? Anyways, here's the steps to fix it.

Code:
    1. Open synaptic
    2. Menu: Settings -> Repositories
    3. Click the tab: Third Party Software
    4. Click the button "Add" then enter "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/xserver-no-backfill/ubuntu jaunty main", then click ok
    5. Click the button "Add" again then enter "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/xserver-no-backfill/ubuntu jaunty main", then click ok
    6. Click "Close"
    7. Click "Reload"
    8. Click "Mark All Upgrades"
    9. Click "Apply"
    10. Logout and log back in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Software packaged with Jaunty
    I'm not sure if this thread is suitable for problems caused by software in the repositories being updated, but as a result of moving to Jaunty two issues came up:

lftp
    The version of lftp in Jaunty (3.7.8-1) crashes with a segfault when doing "mput -d", ie recursive upload. A serious problem, reported in Debian bugs, but nothing in Launchpad so far. The version of lftp in the Karmic repos (3.7.13-1) seems to have fixed this.

Workaround: install lftp 3.7.13-1 from the karmic repository. This needs the karmic versions of libtasn1-3 and libgnutls26 too. It seems to have worked for me, but this involves messing with your system so be careful.

espeak
    Espeak is behaving oddly, hanging or cutting off some words. (Launchpad).

Workaround: pipe its output to aplay:
    Code:
    espeak "hello" --stdout | aplay
    (There may yet be other espeak issues related to pulse or portasound, which I'm not using.)
    2004 IBM desktop (2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM)
    Blatant self-advertising: a restaurant, a band and a sort of Japan blog

Beans
    Distro

Upon upgrade to Jaunty from Intrepid, there are problems w/ mdadm RAID arrays not being able to mount, caused by an overwritten mdadm.conf file.

The following forum post/thread gave me the fix: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=19

The bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/330298

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Probably a bug in Xorg: there is a strange behaviour when right-clicking a link in Firefox. It randomly opens up different windows, dialogues etc. (for saving or bookmarking).

Workaround: install Mouse Gestures extension. It has to be enabled, but you may remove all the gestures and uncheck all the boxes to avoid their action (if you do not need them actually).
    There is always a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
    Probably a bug in Xorg: there is a strange behaviour when right-clicking a link in Firefox. It randomly opens up different windows, dialogues etc. (for saving or bookmarking).

Workaround: install Mouse Gestures extension. It has to be enabled, but you may remove all the gestures and uncheck all the boxes to avoid their action (if you do not need them actually).
    Actually, it's a /bug/ in all versions, not only Jaunty ( at least it gives me this "random command" feature on 8.04/8.10/9.04 ). Anyway, thanks for the trick to solve this .. hard to work if 1/5 clicks are "E-Mail this link"
    - Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN
    - Include this in your CONFIG.SYS File: BUGS=OFF
    - Linux is not just a hobby, it's an obsession !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Grip can't eject CD and also rips slow

Grip eject code no longer works so it thinks that a new CD has been inserted and remains in a loop continually ripping the one CD unless manually terminated. Also CD ripping is very slow unless following code is used.

Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ip/+bug/382013

Workaround:

Code:
    sudo hal-disable-polling --device /dev/sr0
    This will allow the Grip eject to function, and had the "bonus" side-effect (on my system) of significantly increasing rip speed.

This will stop the 9.04 function of mounting the drive, and can be reversed by:

Code:
    sudo hal-disable-polling --device /dev/sr0 --enable-polling
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

frequent filesystem corruption on 64-bit systems

Symptoms: Bug #346691 affects 64-bit installs and causes the system to freeze up randomly, not associated with any specific program. A hard reset is the only way to regain control, and then the system usually won't boot because of filesystem corruption: missing or bad inodes reported, and so on. Fsck has to be run manually from recovery mode to fix it, until the next time it blows up again.

This bug is not related to ext4 filesystem corruption on i386, ie 32-bit installs, so the fix below is probably irrelevant in that case.

The cause appears to be the 2.6.28.11 kernel that comes with Jaunty. The fix is to install a 2.6.29 kernel:
    Code:
    $ wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.29.4/linux-image-2.6.29-02062904-generic_2.6.29-02062904_amd64.deb
    $ sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.29-02062904-generic_2.6.29-02062904_amd64.deb
    (or _i386.deb if on 32bit)
    (Thanks to Daniel J. Blueman for the fix!)
    Last edited by quixote; June 2nd, 2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: bold added for clarity

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: frequent filesystem corruption on 64-bit systems

The bug described above only affects few specific type of input controllers I guess as I am yet to experience a single symptom like that on either of my PCs or laptops loaded with Jaunty x64. This includes a 5400XS Intel dual quad core, a AMD Phenom on AMD chipset and a Panasonic Toughbook.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast