Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Store password of ssh key in gnome keyring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Question Store password of ssh key in gnome keyring

Hi,

when I used Ubuntu 8.10 I was able to store my sshkeys passphrase in gnome-keyring, and then it was automatically unlocked when I logged in.

However, in Ubuntu 9.04, this doesn't seem to work? In Ubuntu 8.10, GNOME simply asked if I wanted to stored the passphrase of the sshkey in the keyring the first time I used, but this doesn't work with 9.04.

Have anyone else had this problem?

I'm grateful for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Store password of ssh key in gnome keyring

I have the same problem. I tried to remove all the settings but that didnt help at all.
    Please don't hurt the web, use open standards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Same problem here on one of my ubuntu 9.04 installation.

I compared the installed packages (searching for ssh, gnupg, gpg in synaptic) and they seem to be same. Now I wonder whether there might be a difference in the configuration files. :-/

Anybody knows where to look?

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello,

I Just found the problem on my installation where it was not working: the gnome-keyring-daemon was disabled under the menu System->Preferences->Startup Applications.

Cheers

Francesco

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by frafu View Post
    Hello,

I Just found the problem on my installation where it was not working: the gnome-keyring-daemon was disabled under the menu System->Preferences->Startup Applications.

Cheers

Francesco
    Hi Francesco, thanks for your time and for looking into this problem.
    Unfortunately for me, gnome-keyring-daemon is checked under Startup Applications, so it's not disable for me

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Store password of ssh key in gnome keyring

Hello, I think I have the same problem...

keyring worked with 8.10, but stopped working in 9.04

Upon openning a terminal to ssh to a foreign host, I used to be asked once for my keyring passphrase...then all subsequent openning a terminal to ssh were passwordless.

Now, every time I start a terminal and try to ssh, I get asked for the keyring passphrase...

any ideas any one?

Beans

I can confirm the same problem. In Ubuntu 9.04 I can't seem to find a way to have my private SSH key unlocked automatically once I've logged in. This feature was great in Ubuntu 8.10 and a real bummer it appears to no longer work.

Beans
    Distro

Is this a bug? A lot of people seems to have this problem...If so, should I file a bugreport somewhere?

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know whether this is a bug in gnome-keyring, since I don't use that functionality of the keyring. However, if it is a bug and no-one else can come up with a work-around that is specific to gnome-keyring, then you could try using my ssh-askpass-keyring utility as a short-term work-around while you wait for the gnome-keyring bug to get fixed. Click 'External Downloads' to get to my PPA. The Intrepid version works just fine on Jaunty.

I don't normally recommend switching to my utility unless your needs aren't met by the functionality already built in to the keyring. For me, that's true because the keyring doesn't store passphrases for SSHv1 keys, and that's what my company uses. You might want to use my utility while you wait for a bug fix, but I recommend going back to the gnome-keyring's built-in functionality once it's back in working order. After all, there's no need for two programs when one will do.
    Last edited by Brandon Williams; May 15th, 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've been fighting with this issue as well, and the most frustrating thing is that I can't find good user documentation for the GNOME keyring. A clear explanation of the whole system in layman terms would be necessary to be able to really use the user interface and not just try everything blindly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast