Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I disable evolution services from loading?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool How do I disable evolution services from loading?

I hate evolution ...

Let me be more specific, I hate that evolution has services that startup and I never ever use them.

These two services are always loaded and when I try to delete stupid evolution my computer wants to remove a ton of other things that I dont want to lose.

So evolution sucks badly and I hate it but I dont seem to have a choice but to let it exist on my computer but how do I deactivate these services so that nothing pertaining to evolution loads and wastes my memory?

Thanks ahead of time for the help ...
    Havent we met here somewhere before?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I disable evolution services from loading?

Have you really stopped to consider how angry you appear to be about this? I'm not sure minor packaging bugs can ever really rise to the level of a "WTF" . . . some day something really screwy is going to happen with your computer and you'll have run clean out of novel exclamatory remarks.

More to the point, what version of Ubuntu are you using. I do recall this was an issue on older versions of Ubuntu. New(ish) versions of ubuntu-desktop are not dependent on evolution or lib-evolution. You're right, it's an unnecessary hard dependency.

I suggest upgrading to a newer version of Ubuntu, where this packaging dependency bug has been repaired. I have a funny feeling you are running the current LTS, which I think does still include this but. Jaunty does not have this issue and I'm pretty sure Intrepid was clean as well.

If upgrading is not an option (which does happen for people), go to System, Preferences, Startup Applications. Here you can adjust what apps start automatically. Disable evolution alarm notifier and evolution won't auto start when you start Gnome. However, if you click on the clock applet in the panel, it will start up the evolution stuff to look for meetings and to do list stuff. Evolution is the default mail client of the Gnome desktop. Sorry.

However, if you upgrade and remove all evolution related packages, this little problem goes away entirely.

Or, you could just switch to a different desktop, like XFCE (Xubuntu) as this will not require evolution to be installed and it will not try to automatically start it up.

I hope one or more of these options helps.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

BTW. On most computers, 4 MB of RAM is . . . . irrelevant. I can think of lots of things running on most computers that waste more than 4 MB of RAM. For example, let Fire Fox run for a few days without shutting it down and you will waste way more than 4 MB of RAM!

Beans

Just a heads up, Xfce uses thunderbird as the default email client.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta View Post
    Have you really stopped to consider how angry you appear to be about this? I'm not sure minor packaging bugs can ever really rise to the level of a "WTF" . . . some day something really screwy is going to happen with your computer and you'll have run clean out of novel exclamatory remarks.
    Been there, done that, old post

More to the point, what version of Ubuntu are you using. I do recall this was an issue on older versions of Ubuntu. New(ish) versions of ubuntu-desktop are not dependent on evolution or lib-evolution. You're right, it's an unnecessary hard dependency.
    Latest 9.04, the one screenshot with the WTF was from an older post of mine but the issue is still the same.

If upgrading is not an option (which does happen for people), go to System, Preferences, Startup Applications. Here you can adjust what apps start automatically. Disable evolution alarm notifier and evolution won't auto start when you start Gnome. However, if you click on the clock applet in the panel, it will start up the evolution stuff to look for meetings and to do list stuff. Evolution is the default mail client of the Gnome desktop. Sorry.
    Yup, went there, nothing mentioning evolution is listed, unless evolution is "tracker", thats the only entry that im not sure of and I suspect thats a searching service of some sort.

Thanks for the help but the version is the latest and evolution isent even mentioned under "startup applications" ...

Any other idea?

Beans

try boot up manager
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install bum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm. I can not reproduce what you are saying. If I try to remove evolution (via Synaptic) it offers to also remove:

• evolution-indicator
    • evolution-plugins
    • gnome-do-plugins
    • libevolution-cil

It does not try to remove ubuntu-desktop, Tracker, etc. And yes, Tracker is a service that indexes your files.

Don't waste your time with bum, evolution (and all it's related services) are user-land applications and are not started during the boot process. They are only started after you log in and bum doesn't work with those type of services. And, Thunderbird is not the default mail client for XFCE. XFCE does not have a default mail client. Thunderbird is the default mail client of Xubuntu. You can, if you want, install the XFCE desktop separately, without installing the rest of the Xubuntu dependencies. In my personal opinion, this works better and installs less cruft for circumstances where I want XFCE installed on a computer where I already have ubuntu-desktop installed.

Try this at the command-line:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge evolution
    The computer will ask for your passoword. Before it actually does anything, it will tell you what it is going to do, since it will remove a few dependencies. Look over the list of things it offers to remove. If you're running the latest Ubuntu, it won't try to remove ubuntu-desktop or other importanr apps.

Beans

You can remove evolution just don't remove the evolution-data-server-common package:

Screenshot-Synaptic Package Manager .png

Or the language packs!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    You can remove evolution just don't remove the evolution-data-server-common package:

Screenshot-Synaptic Package Manager .png

Or the language packs!
    What does the evolution-data-server do then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta View Post
    Hmmm. I can not reproduce what you are saying. If I try to remove evolution (via Synaptic) it offers to also remove:

• evolution-indicator
    • evolution-plugins
    • gnome-do-plugins
    • libevolution-cil

It does not try to remove ubuntu-desktop, Tracker, etc. And yes, Tracker is a service that indexes your files.

Don't waste your time with bum, evolution (and all it's related services) are user-land applications and are not started during the boot process. They are only started after you log in and bum doesn't work with those type of services. And, Thunderbird is not the default mail client for XFCE. XFCE does not have a default mail client. Thunderbird is the default mail client of Xubuntu. You can, if you want, install the XFCE desktop separately, without installing the rest of the Xubuntu dependencies. In my personal opinion, this works better and installs less cruft for circumstances where I want XFCE installed on a computer where I already have ubuntu-desktop installed.

Try this at the command-line:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge evolution
    The computer will ask for your passoword. Before it actually does anything, it will tell you what it is going to do, since it will remove a few dependencies. Look over the list of things it offers to remove. If you're running the latest Ubuntu, it won't try to remove ubuntu-desktop or other importanr apps.
    Thanks, lots of good info here.

I did install bum but noticed there was no option to deactivate evolution ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast