Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu vs chrome [rant]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ubuntu vs chrome [rant]

I guess you can't have too much of a good thing. On one hand you have all-free super light super secure OS, on the other hand you have all-free super fast super secure browser, but you can't enjoy both.

I understand why so many people like Firefox but somehow it's just too slow for me, and from experience it still crashes more often than chrome. Sure you can have Opera but that crashes left and right too with negligible performance gain, it's also got the least viewing space.

Without the driver for my G5 mouse it makes everything even slower. the names of the system folders made me second guess myself every time. What's man folder for anyway? Where's the woman folder?

So ya, it sounds crazy, but I'm thinking of switching back... to the OS chrome supports.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: ubuntu vs chrome [rant]

Have you tried Chromium?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holyskeleton View Post
    Sure you can have Opera but that crashes left and right too with negligible performance gain, it's also got the least viewing space.
    I honestly don't know what you are talking about. I've never had an Opera crash on Linux. You can also customize the interface if you bother to learn.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Chromium and Chrome will one day work on Linux, just be patient
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I guess you can't have too much of a good thing. On one hand you have all-free super light super secure OS, on the other hand you have all-free super fast super secure browser, but you can't enjoy both.
    So ya, it sounds crazy, but I'm thinking of switching back... to the OS chrome supports.
    I assume you aren't aware there are builds available for Linux?
    Look for "Chromium", and yes, it's the same code, not just a similar project with a similar name.
    Saying that you "could care less" about something is implying that you DO care about it, regardless of common usage.
    Using it as a way of saying you don't care is simply wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Chromium already works on Linux, Chrome will probably never be available on Linux.

Granted Chromium is behind Chrome, but it's only a matter of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

whats so good about chrome? i mean... how could a new trendy browser be worth abandoning the greatest OS ever?

plus, you can't beat all the free extensions available for firefox. adblock plus, stylish, serverspy, CHM reader, searchload options, and user agent switcher offer me functionality that i couldn't imagine being without.

if these add-ons were available for other browsers, i would instntly switch over to epiphany this instant! epiphany is pretty quick and GTK'ed (so it looks good).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I understand why so many people like Firefox but somehow it's just too slow for me, and from experience it still crashes more often than chrome. Sure you can have Opera but that crashes left and right too with negligible performance gain, it's also got the least viewing space.

Without the driver for my G5 mouse it makes everything even slower. the names of the system folders made me second guess myself every time. What's man folder for anyway? Where's the woman folder?

Hi,

Try the GNOME web browser Epiphany. It's awesome. A version of it uses Firefox engine and another uses Safari engine. Safari version is little buggy but Firefox version works like charm. No extra CPU usage, smooth browsing experience. I've used all of 'em Firefox, chrome, opera but Epiphany is the one for me from now on

try it

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Namtabmai View Post
    Chromium already works on Linux, Chrome will probably never be available on Linux.
    http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/linux.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Namtabmai View Post
    Chrome will probably never be available on Linux.
    Awesome, post that link again when they actually have something to download.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast