Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing MSOffice w/ wine *or* improving on Open Office

Beans

Installing MSOffice w/ wine *or* improving on Open Office

Hey everybody. I've been using Open Office for months now (I guess technically I've been trying to use it on and off for three years, but using it exclusively since I switched to Ubuntu) and I've concluded that the whole Open Office suite is awful, awful, awful. So, if you could answer one of the following questions, I would be obliged.

1. Is there another open source office suite (at minimum, word processor) I should try before going back to MS Office?
    2. Are there some extensions to Open Office that I'm missing which would transform it from "makes me want to rip out my hair" to "totally awesome", that I should try out before I give up?
    3. Any experience on which versions of MSOffice work best under Wine?

Thanks so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing MSOffice w/ wine *or* improving on Open Office

It would help if you specify your difficulties.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by jtsc View Post
    1. Is there another open source office suite (at minimum, word processor) I should try before going back to MS Office?
    Abiword/GnomeOffice, KOffice, ...? Not sure if there's much else...

2. Are there some extensions to Open Office that I'm missing which would transform it from "makes me want to rip out my hair" to "totally awesome", that I should try out before I give up?
    There are plenty of useful extensions, but how would we know if any would help if you don't explain what it is about OO.o that frustrates you

I haven't tried for myself, but according to the AppDB, apparently anything above Office XP (2002) is not so great:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=31

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks so much!

1. Abiword, IBM Lotus Symphony (free), Lotus Notes (payment recuired)

2. need to knwo what you hair ripping expeience s cause by to actually give you some ideas

3. nope sorry, I use windows products on windows... Wine isn't for me. I dual boot when needed. Open Office is fine for most of my tasks.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    3. nope sorry, I use windows products on windows... Wine isn't for me. I dual boot when needed. Open Office is fine for most of my tasks.
    Agreed. I know plenty of people use apps under wine with little to no problems, but my experience with wine over the years has been generally negative.

At home, I dual boot whenever I want to play a game (not very often these days) or use iTunes (again, not often now with eMusic and Amazon MP3).

At work I can go a step further and not even dual-boot by using a Windows XP VM in VirtualBox for Office 2007, AD administration, and a few apps that despite being seemingly simple, do not play well with wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey everybody. I've been using Open Office for months now (I guess technically I've been trying to use it on and off for three years, but using it exclusively since I switched to Ubuntu) and I've concluded that the whole Open Office suite is awful, awful, awful. So, if you could answer one of the following questions, I would be obliged.
    I agree with you 100%!

You can try IBM lotus symphony. Also koffice 2.0 is near a stable release which I think will be the best open source office suite in time.

Beans
    Hidden!

But the OP still has not told us what exactly the problem with OOo is, ie what he can not do in it that he could do in MS Office. I have been using it ever since I came to Ubuntu 5.04 without any real difficulties or problems, and I used it in Windows XP before that for a short while when it first started. I think users must simply forget how they did things in MS Office and try not to do the same things in the same way in OOo and then moan when it does not work as they believe it should.

So , come on, stop saying it is awful, awful, awful, and tell us why, what you want to do with it. Then you might get more useful assistance from the forum, because if you think k-office or abiword and gnumeric will replace MS Office better than OOo, I think you will probably be even more disappointed. I can't say anything about Lotus Symphony, other than to say I used Lotus Smartsuite 97 for years without any problems, other than the inability to open newer versions of word doc files, and the inability of anyone to open any of my files; you couldn't even set it to save as .doc by default as you can OOo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks so much!
    I find Openoffice 3 to be very comparable to M$ Office.

M$ Office is probably the best software thing M$ has ever done. Excel, Word, and Powerpoint are excellent programs.

On the converse, Writer is Word's equal. Impress is just as good as Powerpoint. Excel on the other hand is better than Calc although Calc is a very competent program.
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

HOpen Office suite is awful, awful, awful.
    tbh, I think no amount of extensions is going to change the fact that you perceive it to be sub-standard.

I also suspect that MS Office under WINE will be worse.
    Microsoft Patents the Crippling of Operating Systems. (Link: Patent 7,536,726)

Beans

only older versions of ms office work well on wine.
    op needs to wean himself off his ms addiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast