Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mount error in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Mount error in Ubuntu

Thanks zeex!! you really solved my problem.

Beans

Thank You zeex =D> Worked for me.

Beans

Anybody know if it's possible to just erase my NTFS partition?

I have a new Toshiba Canvio plus 3.0 and all I wanna do is format it to ext2. Gparted was unable to format it, but I did manage to delete the Windows software later. Now the drive won't even mount, though it is recognized as sdb1. Even my Ubuntu machine is telling me I have to use ******* to solve this problem, but I don't have *******, and anyway, all I want to do is format. Does softRAID or fakeRAID hardware make formatting impossible?

EDIT: Whatever the problem was, I fixed it by plugging into a Macbook and formatting the drive to one giant MSdos partition. Now it works perfectly on my Ubuntu box and I'm ready to format with Gparted. Ext2, I guess. Any advice?
    Last edited by catsandogs; December 20th, 2011 at 01:50 AM.

Beans

Thank You.

Beans

Thanks a lot!! Your post saved my day....

Monika
    Quote Originally Posted by zeex View Post
    Hi,

I have seen this error usually when computer is switched of either in the middle of startup or shutdown. Then it doesn't mount NTFS drives in ubuntu. Going back to windows and running chkdsk <drive> /f (example chkdsk e: /f) solves all the problem. Since you don't 've windows anymore. You need to install ntfs tools in ubuntu

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs
    This package has a nice collection of tool for ntfs drives. To fix your problem let's say your drive is /dev/sda2

Code:
    $ sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda2
    This should fix the disk. Reboot after this.

If it still doesn't work use a Live CD like Hiren's boot CD mainly for DOS or there are a lot of other here is a wiki list of rescue n repair live CDs. Try the one you like Hiren's boot CD has chkdsk utility. System Rescue CD is another nice rescue CD.

Beans

Zeex's solution did the job.
    To find your drive use "sudo fdisk -l" command.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by yashdv View Post
    Zeex's solution did the job.
    Except that with recent versions of Ubuntu, you should not install ntfsprogs. The ntfs-3g package, which is installed by default, includes the functionality previously provided by ntfsprogs. Indeed with 11.10 it will uninstall the ntfs-3g driver. The advice was good when posted in 2009, but time has moved on, some things have changed and this thread has been necromanced too often.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12