Thread: Postfix and Dovecot missing sockets?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Postfix and Dovecot missing sockets?

So, I was trying to set up a virtual mail system using MySQL, Postfix, Dovecot, et al. based on this how-to by Johnny Chadda.

So far the biggest problem I've had is that I can't receive emails. From logs I get this:
    deliver(me@mydomain.com): 2009-05-01 02:01:15 Error: Can't connect to auth server at /var/run/dovecot/auth-master: No such file or directory

Sure enough, auth-master does not exist at all, and neither does the socket for postfix. Here's a couple snippets from dovecot.conf:

protocol lda {
    postmaster_address = postmaster@mydomain.com
    sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail
    auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
    }
    master {
    path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
    mode = 0660
    user = vmail
    group = mail
    }
    client {
    path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
    group = postfix
    }

From having done extensive searches on numerous sites (including dovecot.org) I get the impression that auth-master is supposed to come with the dovecot package (bundled with 9.04), and there are several posts in other forums that mention people connecting to it. Right now I can't find any information on auth-master, what code it's supposed to contain, or anything.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Postfix and Dovecot missing sockets?

Nevermind, I just ditched the whole Dovecot setup and went with Courier IMAP instead; the setup turned out to be infinitely easier. Can receive mails now (haven't checked using a proper client yet). All that remains is to tweak the overzealous filters so it's just spam that gets blocked.

http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/index.html