Thread: Finding help with Ubuntu

Beans

Finding help with Ubuntu

I began working with Ubuntu after suggesting a friend install 6.06 on his first computer, and spent the next 6 months trying to iron out all the problems we experienced, wireless being the most difficult.
    Since that time I have put Ubuntu on 4 different computers of my own, 7.04 on one, 8.10 on two and 9.04 on one. In each case I have unresolved problems, and have spent well over a year now trying to debug one version that can provide all my needs. Googling, forums, Official Ubuntu Documentation, and IRC have yet to produce adequate help.
    Perhaps there is another source I've yet to discover that might yield support. I've about burned out trying to find it. I would really like to give 9.04 a try, but have found setting up networking to be an impossible task to solve.
    It appears that Network Manager creates, rather than solves a problem setting up wired and wireless access.
    If someone knows where to find written or verbal help in setting up networking from a terminal instead of using a GUI program, I would greatly appreciate it. To date everything I have found appears to be either incomplete or beyond my comprehension.
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile Re: Finding help with Ubuntu

hI

For setting up the network please follow below url

http://sahabm.blogspot.com/2009/01/l...on-ubuntu.html

Beans

Re: Finding help with Ubuntu

Thanks, I gave that a try but still have no working network. I'm now going to reinstall the OS from scratch in case some of the other help I followed might be causing a problem, and I can't remember what all I had changed previously. Once done, I'll give your response another try. Thanks again.

Beans

Re: Finding help with Ubuntu (Resolved)

I ended up removing Network Manager, and installing wicd, and it worked beautifully and very simple to set up both the wired and wireless connections with hardly any effort at all. I did have to get some help on the wicd IRC channel, and found the help there very attentive and professional. I would recommend wicd as the solution when having network problems, and would like to see it made available in Synaptic if at all possible.