Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: VOIP Service that will call landlines?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    159

    VOIP Service that will call landlines?

    We use MagicJack on my wife's XP box, but I'd like to find a cheap VOIP service that will run on Ubuntu 9.04 that will make calls to landlines and provide me with a local (US) phone number.

    MagicJack is $20 a year for unlimited calling and includes a local phone number, but there are no linux drivers yet and I don't want to go thru the hassle of setting up a virtual XP machine just to run it on this box.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    eb

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    309
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: VOIP Service that will call landlines?

    Sorry, I don't even live in the U.S., but in case you rethink, setting up a virtual XP install in VirtualBox is really not much hassle, as long as you have 1 GB+ RAM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    159

    Re: VOIP Service that will call landlines?

    Quote Originally Posted by ikisham View Post
    Sorry, I don't even live in the U.S., but in case you rethink, setting up a virtual XP install in VirtualBox is really not much hassle, as long as you have 1 GB+ RAM.
    This box only has 512 and is a bit underpowered (1.8ghz HP Pavilion 780n)

    Thanks for the heads up about the ram issue so now I don't have to try and fail setting up virtual box

    eb

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    1,752

    Re: VOIP Service that will call landlines?

    Skype will do all this, and is in the medibuntu repositories.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    159

    Re: VOIP Service that will call landlines?

    Quote Originally Posted by llamabr View Post
    Skype will do all this, and is in the medibuntu repositories.
    I just checked skype's prices, which I hadn't done for a while.

    $2.95/mo for the calling
    $6 /mo for the phone number
    $2 /mo for voicemail

    so $10.95/mo for what I get now for $20/year.
    If you go for the yearly discounts at Skype you end up paying $115.40/yr for the service alone.

    If skype can come down in price then maybe I'll reconsider them as an option.

    Thanks for the suggestion,
    eb

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Beans
    2,307
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: VOIP Service that will call landlines?

    Have a Google for Magicjack forums, it's possible to "discover" your Magicjack sip details which should enable you to use a voip soft client like Ekiga.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tech Disctrict, Indy
    Beans
    629
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: VOIP Service that will call landlines?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razmear View Post
    I just checked skype's prices, which I hadn't done for a while.

    $2.95/mo for the calling
    $6 /mo for the phone number
    $2 /mo for voicemail

    so $10.95/mo for what I get now for $20/year.
    If you go for the yearly discounts at Skype you end up paying $115.40/yr for the service alone.

    If skype can come down in price then maybe I'll reconsider them as an option.

    Thanks for the suggestion,
    eb
    I use Skype for a landline and don't pay nearly that much... When I first got it a couple of years ago it was like $60 for the year... ($30 for the number and $30 for the skype-out) and when I renewed the first of this year it was only $30 for the year to renew the service and that was for both the skype out number and the year of unlimited calling. (I even bought a stand-alone SKYPE cordless phone system for around $100 that works better than the old cordless I used with a traditional landline) I also got an email from SKYPE just the other day that said they were discounting the Skype out service again this year. It's not that much at all.

    I've never paid that much for SKYPE out and a Skype number.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    1

    Re: VOIP Service that will call landlines?

    there is many companies that provides cheap voip services and also a good voip service providers...altaworx,vonage and asterisk is good companies for voip services...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •