Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.04 Jaunty on Acer Aspire One

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

9.04 Jaunty on Acer Aspire One

I can sense that those of us on the AA1 who have upgraded to Jaunty are starting to take over the Intrepid thread, so let's have a new one, eh?

So far, I upgraded wirelessly from 8.10 to 9.04 through the Update Manager and it went fine.

Problems encountered so far:
    - SD cards didn't work at first, but after a couple reboots, the left one hot-plugs fine, but I can't get the right one to work (there have been comments that the right one works if you boot with it in)
    - Wireless worked out of box (ath5k), but no LEDs; after I installed linux-backports-modules-jaunty via Package Manager, the right LED flickers on Tx/Rx
    - No fan control at first, but I followed the instructions to get the acerhdf as per the instructions here and it's fine now

I'll post here if I find anything else, but on the whole, I'm very pleased; loving the disk janitor and the login screen is so preeeettttyyyy I'm such a girl, huh?
    - Samsung R519 Silver - Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 -
    - The Official Conky Blog - Follow conkynews on Twitter -
    - My Launchpad PPA -
    - My blog: My Little Desktop -

Beans

Re: 9.04 Jaunty on Acer Aspire One

I was taking NBR version of Jaunty to my aspire. Works like dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi there
    I own an ACER Aspire One D150-0b (Atom 270 - 160 GB HDD) and I installed Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix.

This is my experience so far:

(Audio)
    Internal microphone is not recognized, even if I use "acer-aspire" argument when loading the Intel HDA Audio module.

(Battery life)
    I have a 3-cell battery and it lasts around 2 hours and 30 minutes at the lowest brightness and Wi-Fi on. Bluetooth is not built-in. Powertop utility didn't help me much.

(Fan)
    I compiled acerhdf module but it refuses to load because it can't recognize D150 BIOS. Actually it's possible to force it loading but temperature sensor is not working, it always says 27 °C.

(Graphics)
    It seems Jaunty's Intel Graphic drivers are somewhat buggy and have poor performance. I turned off Compiz effects but D150 sometimes seems to be a little bit sluggish (I can't say it depends on buggy drivers though).

(Kernel)
    I tried to install Sickboy optimized kernel but it hangs at boot, saying it can't load modules. I think it's because it's not made for D150 series but only for A110 and A150.

(SD Reader)
    I haven't tested it yet.

Other things seem to work OK.
    One more thing...if you love RSS and Liferea, I experienced serious problems (it hangs) using it on a ext4 partition, it's a known bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

oops...I forgot reporting about D150 networking on 9.04 Jaunty

(Ethernet)
    It works.

(Wi-Fi)
    My D150 uses a Broadcom wireless chip, it uses restricted drivers and has a good performance. It works well after suspending and waking.

And more...the biggest issue
    Aspire One D150 doesn't suspend when closing lid. So I have to suspend it manually before closing lid. I hope Ubuntu developers will fix it soon, this bug has been reported already.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I've got a ZG5 AAO.

The only things that don't seem to work "out of the box" are the wifi lights (trivial) and the right card reader if one isn't installed on boot (also fairly trivial).

Although suspend and hibernate functionality seems to vary from install to install. One install suspend doesn't work and hibernate does, and another is the opposite. Neither worked with my install of the beta. Suspend on lid close seems to work when the install will suspend.

The lightscribe modules seem to bork some part of the password handling system. I'm not quite sure why, but I kept getting infinite password request loops after installing them. So I'm not going to try reinstalling them. Feature request, maybe?

Beans

I have a ZG5 AAO which works as documented in Intrepid using the docs found here.

I followed the directions there for both an upgrade and a full install of Jaunty, and I have the following issues (which are different from what is documented). Any suggestions/ideas for a resolution?

• SD card slots do not function - (mmc0: error -84 whilst initialising SD card)
    • Audio works, but periodically makes scratching sound and dies until re-boot

Multiple re-boots haven't corrected the issues. Also tried manually re-loading kernel module for SD after boot to view errors or changes, with no change. Updated sound settings to validate that isn't the issue.

Suspend, hibernate, wireless (right LED only), keyboard functions, etc. all appear to work as expected.

TIA

Beans

I've just spent hours having a nightmare with it, hoping someone can help.
    Off the Live USB I had no problems at all (only the trivial nuances mentioned earlier) but after installing upon rebooting it just boots to a blank desktop. No panels or anything, just the curser.
    I tried 9.04 Desktop as well, and that worked a bit better, but then failed to boot after trying to get Skype installed.

Anyone else had this problem with Acer Aspire One?

Cheers

Beans

Did you get as far as the login screen? If you have <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<F1> will take you to a console and you can login there and look at the dmesg and messages logs in /var/log. It might give you something else to look at.

You might start by trying to:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

to restart X and see if that makes any difference.

HTH

Beans

Thanks for your reply man.
    I'm gonna give eeebuntu a go because apparently everything works brilliantly with the AAO, even though its a slight variation of Ubuntu, and designed for the eeepc.
    I did get to the log in screen, and I tried booting in fail safe and restarting the Xclient, but nothing made a difference. If I try UNR again I'll try your advice.
    Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does anyone know how to check the stats on the acerhdf fan control module? The first time I installed it, it did exactly as I expected, but now the fan stays on most of the time on the super-low setting...I don't know if it's just the temp settings of the module or something. I don't really understand how it works!

Thanks, guys.

Also, my conky doesn't work, even though I have it listed in the startup list. It only shows up right as I shut down: it blinks on the screen for about a second during the shut down process.
    - Samsung R519 Silver - Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 -
    - The Official Conky Blog - Follow conkynews on Twitter -
    - My Launchpad PPA -
    - My blog: My Little Desktop -

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast