Thread: gnome-pilot applet icon disappeard uon upgrade to Jaunty

Beans

gnome-pilot applet icon disappeard uon upgrade to Jaunty

I'm having the weirdest issue after upgrading my comp to Jaunty. For some odd reason the icon for my gnome-pilot applet has disappeared in Jaunty, although I see that the pixmaps for sync status are still there. It's become pretty impossible to send a file to my PDA since I can't drop the file onto the icon any longer.

Just for completeness of information, I first did a dist-upgrade to get 9.04, but after getting some major issues with MPD I was advised to do a clean install of 9.04, and I created a new profile to use with the new install. This, of course, only adds insult to injury that I'm unable to see anything beyond a dot where the applet resides on my panel.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: gnome-pilot applet icon disappeard uon upgrade to Jaunty

The very same thing has happened to me. I can sync my Palm as normal but I can't install new programs which is rather annoying. I tried the advice here:
    http://nancib.wordpress.com/2009/05/...n-ubuntu-9-04/

but that didn't have any effect. Does anyone have any idea how this can be solved? It is the only thing that is broken after my upgrade to Jaunty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If however you use the terminal version from the above link you can install programs without any problems!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just done a restart and the icon has appeared! So try what the link says with the two .deb files!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now though, every time I start the computer new, it appears about ten times!
    Anyone got any ideas how this can be fixed? Have tried removing it completely from the panel, and then doing a new start, but it keeps happening!

Beans

I'm glad my tutorial helped you. [OT]I'm working on a similar one for people who use AvantGo, which is shutting down at the end of the month, so they'll be able to keep getting content like AG currently provides.[/OT]

Try removing them all, and then do a restart (rather than just a relog). Not sure if that will help but it might. Otherwise you many need to do a search for where the panel settings are stored and remove the extras manually.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Basically every time you remove one, one less appears at the next restart. So you have to remove one, restart, remove one, restart etc etc until only one is left!
    I think it's because of all the attempts to get the applet to appear before I used you fix. Although they didn't appear they were still there somehow and appeared after the fix.
    All sorted now though - thanks again.