Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo use DiskDrake for Partitioning

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo use DiskDrake for Partitioning

When I see how reliable Espresso's partitioner is in a couple of months (isn't Dapper delayed?), then I may stop recommending DiskDrake (as it does require an entirely new ISO download). In the meantime, I continue to see issues with GParted and QTParted.

Beans
    Hidden!

If espresso and the Dapper live cd fall on their ***, I'll send you a bottle of Canadian Club...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I've seen multiple references to items being 'greyed out' in gparted; however I have a different issue when trying to shrink my (X) ntfs partition using gparted (5.10 BB on the live CD downloaded earlier this month). gparted goes through the motions of shrinking my XP part, but then when it 'comes back' (the progress dialog disappears), the partition info shows the same as before. Has anyone heard of THIS problem? Also, where can I access QTparted? Is it part of 5.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cls1chuck
    I've seen multiple references to items being 'greyed out' in gparted; however I have a different issue when trying to shrink my (X) ntfs partition using gparted (5.10 BB on the live CD downloaded earlier this month). gparted goes through the motions of shrinking my XP part, but then when it 'comes back' (the progress dialog disappears), the partition info shows the same as before. Has anyone heard of THIS problem?
    Sure. Maybe you haven't installed ntfsprogs?
    Also, where can I access QTparted? Is it part of 5.10?
    It's in the Universe repositories. Have you enabled extra repositories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

[I thought I replied but see no reply, so I'm 're'-replying]
    Aysiu, Thanks for the quick response - I'll try it. Can I install ntfsprogs if I boot from the Live CD? Also, is there a place that I could have found that I need to install ntfsprogs without posting? While I REALLY appreciate the help I've received here in the forums, if I could help myself by going to a reference, I'm sure it would free up yours (and others') valuable time for helping others or making other valuable contributions. FYI, I already reviewed 'how to help yourself', and found your PDF guide (great job btw!).
    Anyway, it seems like my challenge isn't that there are no help references out there; rather it's that there is SO MUCH help and reference out there - but not (from my point of view) very organized. Not a complaint - just wanting to know if there is a place you could point a Linux newbie for a 'silver bullet' for this stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[I thought I replied but see no reply, so I'm 're'-replying]
    Aysiu, Thanks for the quick response - I'll try it. Can I install ntfsprogs if I boot from the Live CD?
    Yes! Boot up the live CD. Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    Remove the # sign from in front of the Universe repositories. Then type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs qtparted
    Also, is there a place that I could have found that I need to install ntfsprogs without posting?
    Probably, but it wouldn't have been easy to find if you didn't know exactly what you were looking for.
    While I REALLY appreciate the help I've received here in the forums, if I could help myself by going to a reference, I'm sure it would free up yours (and others') valuable time for helping others or making other valuable contributions.
    One of the valuable contributions Ubuntu users can make is giving online forum help. I don't consider this a waste of my valuable time at all.
    FYI, I already reviewed 'how to help yourself', and found your PDF guide (great job btw!).
    Thanks. When Dapper comes out in June, I'll update it.
    Anyway, it seems like my challenge isn't that there are no help references out there; rather it's that there is SO MUCH help and reference out there - but not (from my point of view) very organized. Not a complaint - just wanting to know if there is a place you could point a Linux newbie for a 'silver bullet' for this stuff.
    The problem is really that no one person is in charge of the Ubuntu documentation. There are various semi-centralized locations for documentation.

For example, the Wiki:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

And the Documentation Storage Facility:
    http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Main_Page

I find the best "documentation" is Google and the Ubuntu Forums, though.

If I have a problem or question, the first thing I do is go to Google and type
    site:ubuntuforums.org name of problem or question
    Note: this will almost invariably give you better results than using the search box built into the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

well, QTparted did the trick; not sure why gparted did not, but oh well. It would be nice to know why the one worked and the other did not, but at least I now have space to put a Linux partion on my hard drive!
    Thanks again for all the help!

Beans

well, QTparted did the trick; not sure why gparted did not, but oh well. It would be nice to know why the one worked and the other did not, but at least I now have space to put a Linux partion on my hard drive!
    Thanks again for all the help!
    that's most likely because you used an obsolete gparted. The newer versions deal just fine with ntfs.

About the 'greyed out options' in gparted.. i am quite sure these options are only greyed out when there's a good reason for it. If someone feels otherwise, please file a bug so the developers can have a look at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Plors - I did make sure I had the latest updates (using the update manager and the package manager); is this the proper way to make sure I have the most current version? (FYI this is the one that comes on the Ubuntu Live CD).

Beans

i'm not sure (i don't use Ubuntu myself) but i don't think it has the latest gparted. IMHO the best way to use gparted is to run it from it's own livecd. That way there are no issues with mounted partition and/or active swap and you are always sure you have the latest software.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast