Thread: Mouse pointer goes beyond the screen on dual monitors with different resolutions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mouse pointer goes beyond the screen on dual monitors with different resolutions

Hello.

I've just installed Jaunty. My system uses an ATI card and two monitors are connected to it.

I haven't installed any additional packages related to video stuff. Just went to System > Preferences > Display and setup my monitors.

As you can see the monitors have different resolutions. When I move the mouse pointer below the lower panel on the left monitor, the pointer goes even lower, that is doesn't stick to the monitor's edge.

I have a habit to quickly move the mouse pointer to its lower edge and switch between open windows. Now I can't do that because the pointer goes even lower, and I have to slowly move it up until I finally point to the lower panel. It's really annoying.

I can move the second monitor higher, so it looks like this:

But the mouse pointer will now go beyond the upper panel. In this situation I have the same problem with my habit pushing the pointer to higher edge of the screen and click menu or links on the upper panel.

I think it's because of the second monitor is bigger and the system makes a proper rectangle of the monitors adding invisible space to the first one:

Previously I've been always using nVidia cards and had no such problems with older Ubuntu releases. Now I have two new things: the newest Ubuntu release — Jaunty — and an ATI card. So, I don't know which one of those causes the problem.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by elnur; June 25th, 2009 at 09:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Mouse pointer goes beyond the screen on dual monitors with different resolutions

Anybody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Mouse pointer goes beyond the screen on dual monitors with different resolutions

I'm also interested in a fix for that, it is quite annoying. It looks like they might be working on it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/373367

Beans

Yes, it seems to work with the last FLGRX driver and the Catalyst Center or just with KDE, but not with Gnome and the free driver, wich is kind of suprising :-/

Beans

Are there any news on this subject? I also have two screens of different size and I can move the mouse to nonexistant real estate. Especially for dragging windows against the edge to maximise them, this bug is rather annoying. I've had the problem both in Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04.

Beans
    Distro

Still no ideas on this? The problem persists even on 11.10.