Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does "Trusted LAN" mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question What does "Trusted LAN" mean?

In response to one of my threads around security in Hardy, this was stated:

"For a desktop computer with Ubuntu in a trusted LAN there is no need for all this imho" (ie. Firewall managers, Apparmor, Netfilter etc.)

I do not know what a "trusted LAN" means? All I have is one computer connected to the modem provided by my Internet Provider using just a wired Internet Connection.

Trusted LAN??? Is there some more Hardware that needs to be attached to make my end user computer more secure?

I need to go to bed, so, thank you, for any and all responses. I am sorry I will not be available for any immediate responses to any questions.

Good Night!!
    Last edited by mikodo; April 30th, 2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Solved in Title

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What does "Trusted LAN" mean?

Based on the quote you've given, I'd guess that the obvious meaning is most likely: a trusted LAN is one you trust to be safe. An example would be your own home network, where you have control over who gets access to it.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Based on the quote you've given, I'd guess that the obvious meaning is most likely: a trusted LAN is one you trust to be safe. An example would be your own home network, where you have control over who gets access to it.
    Yup.

In professional geek terms trusted network = a network you control. Every other network is untrusted.
    we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    -- anais nin

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Smile Re: What does "Trusted LAN" mean?

You guys are fast!!

Yes, I am the only person on my computer. You have answered my question.

Thank you,

Mikodo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Note that if you are connected only by a modem to your ISP then you are on an 'Untrusted LAN' as there is no firewall that you control between you and you ISP. You will need Ubuntu's firewall to be configured.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Re: What does "Trusted LAN" mean?

Well I am still up and one more question to Peter 09. I do have Firestarter running as it is mentioned in Beginning Ubuntu Linux by Keir Thomas. Really anything else is beyond my capabilities for now. Would this be enough with sensible internet usage?
    Last edited by mikodo; April 28th, 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Firestarter is a GUI for your firewall. So keep all your incoming ports closed and you will be OK. I've never used firestarter as I have a NAT firewall on my router, so I am a bit hazy about its functionality.

What is interesting is to keep an eye on your log files, use System->Admin->Log File Viewer.

Syslog and auth.log will show any break in attempts.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    Note that if you are connected only by a modem to your ISP then you are on an 'Untrusted LAN' as there is no firewall that you control between you and you ISP. You will need Ubuntu's firewall to be configured.
    I agree that a direct connection to an ISP can be considered a connection to an "Untrusted LAN".

Thankfully there are options: as well as using Ubuntu's firewall (the one I know of is called iptables, I'd suggest checking out a "front end" such as firestarter or ufw to help with the settings, as setting iptables directly can be tricky) many routers have firewall capabilities.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Smile Re: What does "Trusted LAN" mean?

Thank you,

These responses have answered nagging questions of mine for a while.

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Re:[Solved] What does "Trusted LAN" mean?

Say, would enabling an external firewall through use of a router, offer me more security than just using firestarter to configure the Linux kernel on my computer, which is directly wired now to my ISP's modem?

Second question: Can both firestarter and a configured external firewall in a router, be used to increase security of an end user computer like mine?

Thank you,

mikodo
    Last edited by mikodo; April 30th, 2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: To mark Title as Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast