Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unknown sender - no subjetc - virus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: unknown sender - no subjetc - virus?

Read the links on security in my signature.

There are no known Linux viruses in the wild. None. Full stop. Period. EOF.

Only a few dozen Linux-affecting viruses have ever been identified, as opposed to the several hundred thousand known for Windows, with tens of thousands more identified each year. Most of those Linux viruses were proofs-of-concept developed in a computer lab somewhere. None of those are currently capable of infecting a Linux system, as the security vulnerabilities they utilized have been fixed.

Does this mean that Linux is bullet-proof? Of course not. But based on its history and its robust security model, your chances of becoming infected by a virus using Linux are probably slightly less than your chances of being killed by an enraged rabbit after being dipped in butterscotch pudding.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mb_webguy View Post
    Does anyone else see the irony in that a problem on Linux that the user thought might be a virus was actually caused by a virus scanner?

Yet another argument why most Linux users don't need to bother with anti-virus software -- the cure is worse than the (imagined) disease!
    I heard tell, probably from comedian/musician Victor Borge, of the person who invented a cure for which there was no disease. Someone else took the cure, and promptly died from it.

Quote Originally Posted by mb_webguy View Post
    Read the links on security in my signature.

There are no known Linux viruses in the wild. None. Full stop. Period. EOF.

Only a few dozen Linux-affecting viruses have ever been identified, as opposed to the several hundred thousand known for Windows, with tens of thousands more identified each year. Most of those Linux viruses were proofs-of-concept developed in a computer lab somewhere. None of those are currently capable of infecting a Linux system, as the security vulnerabilities they utilized have been fixed.

Does this mean that Linux is bullet-proof? Of course not. But based on its history and its robust security model, your chances of becoming infected by a virus using Linux are probably slightly less than your chances of being killed by an enraged rabbit after being dipped in butterscotch pudding.
    Generally true: but a few precautions against unintentionally hurting Windows machines we might be contact with probably won't hurt much (if at all) - I don't want my email provider getting on my case!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Unfortunately Windows stills be widen used!

Caring about friends, relatives and costumers who uses Windows is not a waste of time nor will hurt any one! I don't want to help spreed any diseases!

I never heard of Linux viruses lose on the wild, but I know about cases of Linux servers been compromised.

Either the motivation been adding a plus on the security of my superb Linux box or helping the poor souls that has to deal with windows on their boxes, an anti-virus and or a rootkit-hunter are not a waste of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by digiwise View Post
    Unfortunately Windows stills be widen used!

Caring about friends, relatives and costumers who uses Windows is not a waste of time nor will hurt any one! I don't want to help spreed any diseases!

I never heard of Linux viruses lose on the wild, but I know about cases of Linux servers been compromised.

Either the motivation been adding a plus on the security of my superb Linux box or helping the poor souls that has to deal with windows on their boxes, an anti-virus and or a rootkit-hunter are not a waste of time.

Considering the ratio of Windows users to Linux and Mac users, using AV software to prevent infecting Windows users is pointless. Your interaction with their system is a minuscule portion of their Internet activity. The only effective way you can help prevent a Windows user from getting viruses is not to secure your system, but rather to help them secure their own.

Convince them of the benefits of not using an Administrative account as their normal account. Show them how to keep their installation up-to-date with Automatic Updates. Help them install a good antivirus/antispyware application, and show them how to keep it updated. If it's necessary, help them install a good firewall, and show them how to use it. Convince them to use a web browser other than IE. Teach them safe Internet behaviors like not installing software from sources they don't completely trust, or opening email attachments from addresses they don't recognize.

You can't protect Windows users. They have to protect themselves.

Beans

I respect your opinion!

But I have my own!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12