Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea for Ubuntu: integrated contacts and support

Beans

Question Idea for Ubuntu: integrated contacts and support

In my opinion, the short answer is that Ubuntu is not people ready and by that I mean Ubuntu is severely lacking in a lot of areas in which people can connect, get help, collaborate, etc. Although, Ubuntu has a great community the OS is still lacking. For example, when we think of the conventional desktop, meaning your actually desk... on your desk's "desktop," in an office lets say, I can call multiple people over and talk them face-to-face, we can collaborate and write on the same documents, we can give each other files and with my permission people can see my desktop and move files around.

So how can we make this happen on the Ubuntu desktop? How can we make Ubuntu function as if you literally had a group of people sitting right next to you when you wanted to?

For starters, I would like to get everyone's input in the specific areas that can be improved. I will then update this thread and start/link brainstorm ideas to that specific idea and then track the progress of each idea into getting into Ubuntu.

IDEAS
    =====
    1. Users should be able to get remote assistance from friends, family or even paid support in Empathy/Pidgin by simply clicking on a button (proper ports should forward automatically, upnp?).
    2. Users should be able to collaborate on the same document by just clicking on a contact/IM contact.
    3. Users should be able to do video conferencing with a group of people. Mingle
    4. Users should be able to to have only one file/object to manage a contact. In this case, something like the people project or libsoylent should be used.
    Last edited by LsrLine; April 27th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Beans

Re: Is Ubuntu people ready?

Last edited by timm017; April 27th, 2009 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Beans

@timm017: I noticed you edited your thread after saying I was an idiot. Can you back that up at all or are you just flaming and not following the CoC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think you're confusing the idea of desktop ready and collaborative working - are you suggesting a distributed team working environment?

Personally I don't want any ports automatically opened for RDP because its a potential security vulnerability.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't know of any os that is 100% "people ready" by your standards. ubuntu can do those things that you list just with a little configuring, so i don't quite understand what you are asking. Im guessing you want more automation with less work for the end user.

Personally i think that for the most part ubuntu is user friendly and people ready.
    Last edited by jacob01; April 27th, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
    intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
    1 gig ram
    250 gig hard drive
    evga Geforce 8600 ssc 256mb over clocked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ahh ah desk ae?

then it should have a lamp xD

and ooh ubuntu should have a built in printer

hahaha im just kidding, i see what you mean, but yea im pretty sure it can do all those things?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LsrLine View Post
    @timm017: I noticed you edited your thread after saying I was an idiot. Can you back that up at all or are you just flaming and not following the CoC?
    You mix things up.

The supposed definition of "desktop/people ready" is "the average joe can get it to work without any problems".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LsrLine View Post
    Quote or it didn't happen

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skymera View Post
    Quote or it didn't happen
    Can't quote it, but I did see it.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast