Thread: a good mail clients for netbooks

Beans

a good mail clients for netbooks

Am running Ubuntu netbook remix jaunty on my compaq mini700 using the default evolution mail, which is quite good but is not optimized to for the small screens that comes with netbooks.. the Anjal project looks very promising but i want something i could use now. Thunderbird comes to mind but the Imap support sucks, and the 3.x beta is very buggy and crashes a lot .. what other options do i have? i just need something that would work better with the small interface of the netbooks. doesnt have to have any bell and whistle as long as it does the job. i mostly use imap with gmail and my webmail.
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: a good mail clients for netbooks

you can use evolution, claws-mail, or if you like console apps, alpine. all are pretty speedy and can be configured to conserve screen real estate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

how does thunderbird IMAP support suck? (not saying it doesn't, just I've never heard this before). Also, if beta software is buggy then don't use beta software?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yoasif View Post
    you can use evolution, claws-mail, or if you like console apps, alpine. all are pretty speedy and can be configured to conserve screen real estate.
    if you read my post i said evolution is not quite optimised for small screen. claw-mail looks promising i would give it a look. thanks

DMcA
    how does thunderbird IMAP support suck?
    its slow and sometimes cane be unresponsive. its one of the things that is being planned to fix in 3.x

(not saying it doesn't, just I've never heard this before). Also, if beta software is buggy then don't use beta software?
    which is why am here to ask for something that is not beta but will be a good compromise on netbooks did you actually read my post?
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans

Hm, Thunderbird imap support worked well for me with gmail. What exactly are your problems?

As to evolution not being optimized for the small screen. I installed jaunty yesterday and evolution works very well for me now on my netbook. So maybe you could give jaunty a try if you haven't already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well it is a netbook, why not just use gmail?

I used to be an evolution user but for close to two years now I have been using nothing but gmail for my mail needs. It's not without flaws but it works well and would view it as perfect for a netbook - perhaps in a specialized standalone window like chrome allows or like that mozilla project that does the same but which seems have stalled development.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
    which is why am here to ask for something that is not beta but will be a good compromise on netbooks did you actually read my post?
    wtf? of course I read your post. Actually this is starting to annoy me. Every time someone posts something that doesn't directly answer a question they get accused of not reading the post. This is the community cafe, it's meant to be for discussing things. You say IMAP support sucks, there's two other people in this thread who haven't noticed this themselves so I don't see a problem with discussing the relative merits of various thunderbird versions.