Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EUH -Stay away from Mexico & U.S

Beans

EUH -Stay away from Mexico & U.S

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/conte...A53%3A18%3A423
    Britons were urged to postpone non-essential travel to the United States or Mexico as senior officials held emergency talks over the deadly outbreak of swine flu.The European Union's health commissioner Andorra Vassiliou met EU foreign ministers on the subject and advised people to reassess their travel plans.
    "They should avoid travelling to Mexico or the United States of America unless it is very urgent for them," she said.
    Now I guess this is becoming serious, Here in the UK it's said that vaccination stock piles would cover just about half of the population and more produced if needed.
    Last edited by oack; April 27th, 2009 at 09:01 PM.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: EUH -Stay away from Mexico & U.S

exaggerated and sensasionalized. what's new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A flu outbreak is always serious, but I don't think this is going to be any different than a regular flu outbreak. In fact, since this is allergy season in the US, and the end of the regular flu season is just getting over, I've read it's been a bit hard to tell what is regular flu and what is swine flu. (Guessing bloodwork needs to be done to tell the difference?)

I really am not worried one way or the other about it. A lot of this media we're getting overkill. I am glad to see governments are taking some action to try and contain the outbreak, but there's only so much one can do.

Just remember to wash hands, take vitamins, don't touch mouth/eyes/nose, don't go to work or school sick

I did find this real-time google map with all the outbreak locations: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1&source=embed I was surprised to see how many cases were being reported in Europe.

Pink is a suspected case
    Purple is a confirmed case
    Pink without a dot in it is a death
    Have no clue what yellow is

This is actually the second swine flu outbreak we've had. There was one back in the 70s. Just read this on Gawker earlier today: http://tinyurl.com/df7bja
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Flu's can be very deadly, as in the case of the Spanish Flu of 1918.

The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.

The guy who sits across the way from me at work told me his uncle died of it, shortly before the war ended.

Also, we're long overdue another pandemic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sars, bird flu... If there ever really is a pandemic, stopping travel won't do anything as the infected will have been incubating the viruses long enough before symptoms are present.

If I were paranoid enough, and possibly exposed, what's to stop me from catching the next flight to the U.K.? The world is far too interconnected to be able to successfully quarantine everyone with something that contagious.

Beans
    Hidden!

Too late: the concern has spread.
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Swine-flu-rul...5/Default.aspx
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

This is how the media pays their bills. There's been 80 deaths world wide from this swine flew. I bet more people died tripping over their own feet since yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

None in Africa but we already have enough diseases & epidemics here. Bring it on, if it does not kill us it will make us stronger.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

We have a flu-outbreak? Huh..i must not be paying attention to entertainment tv...er News.

Last thing i knew we had was tainted pistachio's right?
    Happy geeks are effective geeks!
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0ghz), Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, 3GB Crucial DDR3-1066Mhz RAM, XFX ATI RadeonHD 5750 1GB GDDR5

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    exaggerated and sensasionalized. what's new.
    Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    This is how the media pays their bills. There's been 80 deaths world wide from this swine flew. I bet more people died tripping over their own feet since yesterday.
    QFT^^^. More people certainly died from wars and starvation today, don't see everyone getting all uppity about that.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast