Thread: Su password help

Beans

Su password help

Alright I've looked at as many threads as I could about this problem and I couldn't find a solution for me. I'm a new Linux user, this is my first installation, and I decided to go with Ubuntu. Now, when trying to install something using the "su" command, it asks for the password, I input the password, no masking asterisks or anything show up, which I read was normal, but when I hit enter it takes me to a new line, I wait about 1 second and it says "su: Authentication failure". I do not have any experience installing files in Ubuntu, I was reading off a guide to install Java. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Su password help

Ubuntu disables the root account by default. Use "sudo" in place of "su", or you can use "sudo su".

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

To expand on that, rather then type
    Code:
    su
    to login as the root user, type "sudo" before the command you want:
    Code:
    sudo ls /
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What are you trying to install?
    The best/easiest way to install things in Ubuntu is to use Synaptic: System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager. I would strongly recommend looking there first before you try to install something from other sources.

Some people prefer to do "gksudo program name", then you get a graphical prompt to enter your password.
    Last edited by Niniel; April 27th, 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Niniel View Post
    What are you trying to install?
    The best/easiest way to install things in Ubuntu is to use Synaptic: System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager. I would strongly recommend looking there first before you try to install something from other sources.

Some people prefer to do "gksudo program name", then you get a graphical prompt to enter your password.
    I am trying to install Java. I looked in the Synaptic Package Manager and installed the java runtime environment, should I install all of the Java applications?

EDIT: I got Java working, thanks for the help and quick responses.
    Last edited by Master0fWar; April 27th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.