Thread: Printing: foomatic-rip failed

Beans

Printing: foomatic-rip failed

I'm trying to print with a perfectly avarage hp laserjet, but no luck. It says: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed. I googled it, found truckloads of printing problems with Jaunty which makes me really sad, also found this error but no (understandable) solution.
    - I did reinstall everything with foomatic in it
    - I did change the file /etc/papersize to a4 (I read someones remark that it should not be letter, but foomatics site says it should, so I reset it to letter as it did not make any difference)
    - I did a reboot
    Hope you have some ideas on this. I've attached a very long .txt-file that was kindly created by troubleshoot (I had to zip it because the size exceeded this forums max .txt size). Maybe you know what to do with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by VCoolio; April 27th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Beans

Re: Printing: foomatic-rip failed

SOLVED: used the driver here instead of the one that was automatically used when adding printer. Hurray !! Jaunty still rocks afaic

Beans

I solved it a different way, posted here in case it helps anyone.

I too have an aged laserjet, a 5L, and I couldn't find any way to try a different driver. The system installed the hplip driver by default, and I could not change this. I went through the loop of trying to install a different driver, or change the URI in the printer configuration, but it kept going back to the hplip driver. But I was sure that the URI was not the same as previously (I don't have a record of that but it looked unfamiliar and it didn't mention 'parallel'.)
    Fortunately I still had the previous install, 8.10 which worked fine, on another hdd, so I fired it up again. In that install the URI was
    Code:
    parallel:/dev/lp0
    so I just pasted that into the URI in the new install, and once again tried to change the driver. This time I got to chose the 'standard', ie I presume older, driver, called
    Code:
    HP LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4 (recommended)
    from the list of HP printer drivers, and it worked perfectly after that.
    I am not recommending any of this, or saying others should have parallel:/dev/lp0 as their URI ( obviously my printer is aged and connected to the parallel port) but hopefully the info will be of use to someone.

Beans

Unfortunately theses "solves" don't work for people with different printers. Isn't there a way to just fix whatever is wrong with this foomatic-rip thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have an HP laserjet P1505 and I'm getting this error with the foomatic-rip as well. How can I go about fixing that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just a quick note on the papersize: this really depends on the real physical size of the paper, should be clearly indicated on the paper pack and often there are markers in the paper-tray indicating the papersize.
    In Europe traditionally A4 is used (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_476)
    In the US they traditionally use more often letter format.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Old thread closed.

As per the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct, please do not post in threads more than one year old.

Thanks!
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein