Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Linux-Anti-Theft

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Exclamation Linux-Anti-Theft

    Hi all,

    I have made a "linux-anti-theft" system, users can register themself and their systems. Visit it at www.linux-anti-theft.net


    Linux-anti-theft in 4 steps

    1. Register yourself and get your personal codes.
    2. Download and install the Linux anti-theft client.
    3. The client sends at each startup of your system the internal and external (unique for each internet user) IP address to your account. This happens even before a user is logged in.
    4. Is your system stolen? Consult your personal account and localise your system using the IP broadcast address. So you can follow your system, it doesn't matter where it is located.


    Tour
    Hardware can be replaced, but your personal files may be priceless; both for self-employed persons, employees and home users. Today we increasingly hear about the theft of computer systems. The victim will report to the police, but there is only little chance that a stolen system is found and returned to the legal owner.

    What Linux-Anti-Theft.net does?
    In order to to improve the chances of return of your system after a theft, your system can be monitored. Each time when your laptop or desktop system starts up it will automatically send the internal and external IP adresses of the network it is connected to. These data send by your sytem will be collected in our database and can be consulted through your personal control panel. For local authorities this will be very helpful in tracing back your system.

    If you would prefer to host it on your own webserver, you can download the script here: http://www.linux-anti-theft.net/lat_self-en.tar.gz
    For that, you need a server running Apache, PHP and MySQL. This script has a extra functionality: you can upload a webcam picture by FTP.
    Last edited by Scormen; May 12th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Beans
    2,893
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    Moved to Cafe from Tutorials & Tips - please see the thread criteria: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=677396

    (And sorry for the long delay on action!)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Banville :(
    Beans
    119

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    Quote Originally Posted by Scormen View Post
    Hi all,

    I have made a "linux-anti-theft" system, users can register themself and their systems. Visit it at www.linux-anti-theft.net


    Linux-anti-theft in 4 steps

    1. Register yourself and get your personal codes.
    2. Download and install the Linux anti-theft client.
    3. The client sends at each startup of your system the internal and external (unique for each internet user) IP address to your account. This happens even before a user is logged in.
    4. Is your system stolen? Consult your personal account and localise your system using the IP broadcast address. So you can follow your system, it doesn't matter where it is located.
    This sounds like something I could be interested in doing. My assumption is, though, that thieves will mostly like nuke the hard disk. Does this system of yours employ some sort of hardware-based detection stuff?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    Thanks for the move, jacobmp92. The delay is no problem.

    monsterstack, there is no hardware-based detection. Only the hostname, external- and internal IP will be saved.

    I have also a version what you can download and set up on your own webserver. If you have a webcam, you can also upload the images to your FTP server. The script is in dutch, I'll do my best to translate it asap into english. To use this script, you need a external webserver with Apache, PHP and MySQL.
    You can download it here.

    Edit: translation complete. Download the english version here.

    If you don't have a server, you can still use the webservice at www.linux-anti-theft.net
    Last edited by Scormen; May 12th, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    England
    Beans
    733
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    How can you narrow down a laptop say using an IP address?

    Even if your laptop were left in an "open" state and the thief stole it, they might not be on a fixed IP and therefore that IP would change each time they switched on? Or am I missing something in your application? Might just me being a "thicko" again
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

    "Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Banville :(
    Beans
    119

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    Quote Originally Posted by Scormen View Post
    Thanks for the move, jacobmp92. The delay is no problem.

    monsterstack, there is no hardware-based detection. Only the hostname, external- and internal IP will be saved.

    I have also a version what you can download and set up on your own webserver. If you have a webcam, you can also upload the images to your FTP server. The script is in dutch, I'll do my best to translate it asap into english. To use this script, you need a external webserver with Apache, PHP and MySQL.
    You can download it here.

    If you don't have a server, you can still use the webservice at www.linux-anti-theft.net
    My lappy has SSH to my server, which has all the necessary Apache gubbins and what have you. My lappy doesn't have a webcam, though. Makes me rather want to get one now just in case it ever does get stolen.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    156
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    How can you narrow down a laptop say using an IP address?

    Even if your laptop were left in an "open" state and the thief stole it, they might not be on a fixed IP and therefore that IP would change each time they switched on? Or am I missing something in your application? Might just me being a "thicko" again
    I'm assuming that the Anti-Theft Software is in fact a Daemon that starts up and broadcasts the Unique ID assigned to the Laptop and then sends the IP Address it has been assigned after it connects to the net. Granted it's useless if it's been nicked by a thief with no internet.

    It's actually quite a good idea. The Thief would have to know explicitly that you have this Anti-Theft software installed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    Even if your laptop were left in an "open" state and the thief stole it, they might not be on a fixed IP and therefore that IP would change each time they switched on? Or am I missing something in your application? Might just me being a "thicko" again
    No, good question .
    Like written in the FAQ, DHCP is required:
    Q. A thief doesn't know my systems username or password. How can he connect then=,
    A. The connection to the network is made before you login. It is required that the system uses DHCP.
    I know that this is a restriction, but necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterstack View Post
    My lappy has SSH to my server, which has all the necessary Apache gubbins and what have you. My lappy doesn't have a webcam, though. Makes me rather want to get one now just in case it ever does get stolen.
    The webcam should of course best be built in
    A SSH connection is not necesarry.

    I'm assuming that the Anti-Theft Software is in fact a Daemon that starts up and broadcasts the Unique ID assigned to the Laptop and then sends the IP Address it has been assigned after it connects to the net. Granted it's useless if it's been nicked by a thief with no internet.
    Indeed. The software is just started as a background proces and will try each 10 seconds again to connect to the internet.
    Last edited by Scormen; May 11th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Banville :(
    Beans
    119

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    Quote Originally Posted by Redache View Post
    I'm assuming that the Anti-Theft Software is in fact a Daemon that starts up and broadcasts the Unique ID assigned to the Laptop and then sends the IP Address it has been assigned after it connects to the net. Granted it's useless if it's been nicked by a thief with no internet.

    It's actually quite a good idea. The Thief would have to know explicitly that you have this Anti-Theft software installed.
    And if you have SSH access to said laptop, you can go right ahead and have some fun with your thief.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin , TX.
    Beans
    1,406
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Linux-Anti-Theft

    This is slick , thanks mate.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •