Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Fred Noob install 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Should Fred Noob install 64 bit?

Should "Fred the Noob" install 64 bit Ubuntu 9? My CPU can do it--here are it's details: http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...0&d=1240752404

I understand that I can't get Adobe Air and Flash 11, but I think that's OK.

I have a GeForce 8400 GS card also but it seems that EnvyNG will work for me: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

EDIT: I also need VirtualBox and IES4linux, but it seems that both will work. (END EDIT)

So what is the recommendation for me? 64 or 32? I am a real newbie and I want Ubuntu to be very easy for me so that this time I will stick with it. I tried with 8 and reverted back to Windows.

Thanks!
    Last edited by FredJones; April 27th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Should Fred Noob install 64 bit?

Opera seems to have a 64 bit version and I think Java runtime also does. Is there anything serious I will be missing?

and are there are any disadvantages for a noob like me to running 64 bit?

I"m ready to install, but I want to use the right one.

Thanks!

Opera seems to have a 64 bit version and I think Java runtime also does. Is there anything serious I will be missing?

and are there are any disadvantages for a noob like me to running 64 bit?
    64-bit works great. Opera has a 64-bit version that is easy to install. For Java, you can download either Sun Java or OpenJDK. You can install 32-bit apps on 64-bit apps.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Great. I will try 64 bit.

Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I used 64-bit for a year, and am going back to 32-bit.

Great OS, fewer programs working than 32-bit.

Virtualbox 64-bit with Windows XP running inside 8.10 couldn't handle some of my programs, whereas Virtualbox 32-bit runs my XP programs inside 9.04 just fine.

Might be the new VBX version, might be 32-bit host OS, but I would stick with 32-bit unless you're in the mood to learn about your system innards (which you may well be in the mood to do!)

More discussion:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134504

taygan.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by taygan View Post
    Might be the new VBX version, might be 32-bit host OS, but I would stick with 32-bit unless you're in the mood to learn about your system innards (which you may well be in the mood to do!)

More discussion:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134504
    I am mostly certainly not in such a mood. But that thread actually seems to have mixed results.

Anybody else?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No harm, but it seems you already answer your own question. For all around you should stick with the 32bit version. I believe even in Windows world, 64bit version of any programs is still buggy and hard to manage. Not many developers programmed 64bit program (yet).
    Wait a few years until 64bit become common.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dLeon View Post
    No harm, but it seems you already answer your own question. For all around you should stick with the 32bit version.
    Makes sense. Yes, 10% performance gain will be worthless if it's a headache to use. So JUST IN CASE it will be, I will try 32b.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Read the stickies on the x86_64 forum for help installing 64-bit Flash and Java.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It works OK as long as you don't mind the missing bits or learn enough to make them work under x86-64 on your own or with a little help.

That said if you have less than 4GB of DRAM it might not be worth the hassle. 64b version seems to use a little more memory and I haven't really noticed any performance differences.

I decided to go with it as I was doing a new install on a 4GB equipped notebook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast