View Poll Results: How is your interest in this project?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd be willing to look into the program and try it out

5 33.33%
  • I'd make consideration to switch to it, given the program is stable

3 20.00%
  • I'll keep using Skype

4 26.67%
  • I'll keep using Ekiga

1 6.67%
  • I'll keep using Pidgin/Empathy/IRC/Another chat-only client

4 26.67%
  • I'll stick to Another VoIP/Chat Program

2 13.33%
  • I honestly think this project is unnecessary

5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Potential Skype-Like Java Project: Want your opinion

Beans

POLL: Potential Skype-Like Java Project: Want your opinion

TL;DR version: Free, cross-platform, and open source Skype-like program: would you use it?

Background:
    Let's face it: Skype hasn't updated the *nix versions in years, and hasn't implemented simple features such as joining an ongoing group call. Other than the leak, it's also closed source. Since it's owned by Microsoft, it will most likely never be customizable, use any open standards whatsoever, or release its source to the public. The users are also bound to its EULA, which will most likely be modified in the near future to allow Microsoft to directly eavesdrop on your conversations (Patent Serial number: 645485)

The Project:
    To avoid having the same issues Skype had, where one operating system would get features another would not, this project will be written entirely in Java and use GPLv3. It will probably mature and support more codecs and standards in the future, but until then, it will use Vorbis-encoded UDP audio streams for voice calls and raw TCP connections for chat. I plan on later encrypting these connections once the rest of the program is functional. It will also be entirely P2P, requiring no servers to coordinate anything. It will work best through VPNs (like Hamachi, for those who want a simple version) or internal LANs.

Of course my friends and I will use it when completed, but as for knowing how the (Ubuntu) Linux community would like it, from the random sample of which users stumble on this thread, how is your interest in such a program?
    Last edited by Keiran230; July 14th, 2011 at 06:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: POLL: Potential Skype-Like Java Project: Want your opinion

Skype for Linux has been last updates on Apr 6 2011. Not sure how you came up with years, was that pure imagination?

Anyway, the problem with open source cross platform VIOP solutions is that there are too many of them, but none is as good as even the seemingly perpetual lame beta of the Skype for Linux. Do we really need yet another project? If you have what it takes, why not simply contribute to one of the existing one.

For example, there is already a java based cross-platform, and seemingly promising project called Jitsi.
    http://jitsi.org/
    Last edited by mikewhatever; July 14th, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Skype for Linux has been last updates on Apr 6 2011. Not sure how you came up with years, was that pure imagination?
    You're right, that was badly worded. It has been updated, but look at the versions: Linux is on version 2.x, and Windows is on version 5.x.

Beans
    Distro

Version numbers don't mean anything beyond version numbers. They are not a measure of quality or features, in fact, I very much dislike the latest versions of skype for Windows because of problems and adds they display, the Linux version is OK though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Keiran230 View Post
    TL;DR version: Free, cross-platform, and open source Skype-like program: would you use it?

Background:
    Let's face it: Skype hasn't updated the *nix versions in years, and hasn't implemented simple features such as joining an ongoing group call. Other than the leak, it's also closed source. Since it's owned by Microsoft, it will most likely never be customizable, use any open standards whatsoever, or release its source to the public. The users are also bound to its EULA, which will most likely be modified in the near future to allow Microsoft to directly eavesdrop on your conversations (Patent Serial number: 645485)

The Project:
    To avoid having the same issues Skype had, where one operating system would get features another would not, this project will be written entirely in Java and use GPLv3. It will probably mature and support more codecs and standards in the future, but until then, it will use Vorbis-encoded UDP audio streams for voice calls and raw TCP connections for chat. I plan on later encrypting these connections once the rest of the program is functional. It will also be entirely P2P, requiring no servers to coordinate anything. It will work best through VPNs (like Hamachi, for those who want a simple version) or internal LANs.

Of course my friends and I will use it when completed, but as for knowing how the (Ubuntu) Linux community would like it, from the random sample of which users stumble on this thread, how is your interest in such a program?
    I'd really love to see the source for the eavesdropping statement above.
    AMD Athlon II x4 640 - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 - 12GB RAM - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB w/21.5" Monitor - Assorted HDDs - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120Gb SSD - [ArchLinux - Windows 7 - Mac OS X 10.6.8]
    If all else fails, read the instructions.

Beans

I'd vote for improving jitsi rather than starting a new project.

Beans

One of the biggest problems (but not the only issue) I've had with the Linux version was group conferencing. I am always in an ongoing group chat, which periodically starts a call. If another person starts the call and I'm not there to answer it, TOO BAD. I have to either ask the call leader to call me again, or wait until another one starts up. This feature has been missing since I first started using Skype, and since the simple issue was reported long ago, that's the reason I assumed it wasn't updated beyond stability fixes. On the Windows version, I've never had this issue, and can hop in and out of a conference call at any time.

The other issues are mainly small annoyances which I can just turn a shoulder to, such as the incomming call noise layering on itself multiple times, for each person in the call.

I just took a look at Jitsi, and wow. I didn't like Ekiga, but I'm definately going to give this one a shot, and if I like it, F... this project.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
    I'd really love to see the source for the eavesdropping statement above.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=patent+645485
    (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I actually stumbled on that issue a couple days ago and figured it was a bunch of paranoid users, since there are a lot of people who hate Microsoft and don't have a logical reason why. (I am NOT implying there aren't reasons, though) Then, I looked it up myself to humor the issue and came across a patent for Skype eavesdropping technology which Microsoft has/has pending, with serial number 645485. They would PROBABLY only use it for marketing or something like that, but that doesn't make it any less creepy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Skype is still the best until Micro$oft sabotages it for all non-Windows systems.

Beans
    Distro

Jitsi is still a beta, and they pump out up to three nightly builds in 24 hours. If they could manage to make a stable version by the end of the year, I'd be happy to switch.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; July 14th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast