Thread: question about getting started in the (linux) IT field

Beans
    Hidden!

question about getting started in the (linux) IT field

I may be in the position sometime in the future to be trained for a job to help become employed. I may choose to try and seek employment for a IT job, seeing as I have some personal experience working with Ubuntu the past 4 years or so on my own box here at home.

I am wondering for those of you that have experience working in IT, what might be the easiest linux related IT position to obtain and keep with the proper training?

I have heard some feedback from two people I know, one of them, has had very negative experience in the IT field, the other, loves it. This was on a IRC chat room, and while I realize work varies from company to company. btw, I tended to think more highly of the person who thought his IT job was alot of fun. The person who didn't like it, was saying things, like "all the knowledge inside of you doesn't matter in the IT world, there are always new things needing to be learned and put to use"

I tend to hope for a position in the IT field, that is somewhat secure in its future employability.

The most important considerations to me of course, would be, a secure employable future, much more than, highest salary or rate of pay.

thanks so much for your time

Beans

Re: question about getting started in the (linux) IT field

I would suggest you do what you like, not what is easier nor even what brings you more money

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: question about getting started in the (linux) IT field

Quote Originally Posted by kraymore View Post
    The person who didn't like it, was saying things, like "all the knowledge inside of you doesn't matter in the IT world, there are always new things needing to be learned and put to use"
    This is true, and untrue at the same time. What you baseline yourself with one year can/will be obsolete a year later. IT as a trade is in a constant state of evolution, there never really is a long term baseline for decades are there is in some other professions. To me, this is what attracts me to IT. I don't see this as a negative. I love what I do, but I've also seen and implemented a very great deal of change. This type of rapid change is usually seen at the corporate/enterprise level. If you are doing localized/branch style office IT support it doesn't tend to be this fast, but those positions are probably less stable as others in my experiences.

As for the easiest Linux related IT position, I cannot help you there. I entered IT when there was a lot of UNIX and linux was not really in the enterprise at all. The easiest way towards a Linux based position is to find an employer who needs a linux admin or has a linux presence and indicate to your interviewer that a goal in your career is to support linux one day and hopefully your employer will support you in that goal over time. If you want your IT position to be long term:

1) Find a company who sees IT as something that enables their business to be better, and that is not a necessary evil to do business.
    2) Don't be afraid of change.
    Last edited by toupeiro; April 26th, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech