Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error whilst checking for updates

Cool Error whilst checking for updates

Hello all.

I was checking for updates, then I got this error box with the following message:

Code:
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: The following signatures could not be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY CE90D8983E731F79
    There's two things I need to know:

1. The seriousness of the error in terms of security
    2. How I would be able to fix it

Thanks in advance if you have any solutions
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by calvinps; April 26th, 2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: adding image

Re: Error whilst checking for updates

bump

bump again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

1. Find the GPG key at this address: http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pk...90D8983E731F79
    2. Next, copy the text that starts with "-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----" and ends with "-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----" and save it as a text file.
    3. Then, go to System->Administration->Software Sources and open tab Authentication.
    4. Click on Import Key File and select the file you've just saved.
    5. Then do 'sudo apt-get update' in terminal (or use GUI) and it should not give you any warnings.

Hope it helps.

Beans

Had the exact same problems and followed the steps above, and no problems anymore.

Thanks!

Bump! Another (similar) error just appeared :/

Code:
    GPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY DCF9F87B6DFBCBAEGPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY DCF9F87B6DFBCBAEFailed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.5)/dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/Packages  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.5)/dists/intrepid/restricted/binary-i386/Packages  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Hello?! I have another problem here!

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

go to the virtual box site and download their gpg key they guide you on the site.
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

you can use the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com CE90D8983E731F79
    You can use this command whenever you add a new repository. This basically authenticaes the repository.

Let me know if it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast