Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UbuntuStudio 9.04 Login then FREEZE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: UbuntuStudio 9.04 Login then FREEZE

Luke MacNiell packaged a custom rt-kernel which I am now using. I've been using it all day and I couldn't even get 10 minutes on the default rt-kernel so I'm happy with this.

You can find them here
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ay/004780.html
    but I'll be putting them up soon to spare his bandwitdh.

Jarlath

..okay, I've uploaded the same files to these locations:
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/464104/li...ustom_i386.deb
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/464104/li...ustom_i386.deb
    Last edited by TenLeftFingers; May 21st, 2009 at 05:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mohanohi View Post
    followed every advice.. added acpi=off and others bla bla bla.. But still it freezes after booting up..
    Did you remove the network manager ?

I resolved my problems with US by poring over the information in /var/log/* and comparing it with reports from other users. I discovered that Pulseaudio was causing some problems, the network manager was causing others, so both of them had to go. Other issues didn't seem to be the showstoppers.

Are you running an SMP or uniprocessor installation ? I've heard that SMP and rt kernels don't mix so well on US yet.

Is your system freezing at the login screen or can you get as far as the desktop ? My system froze upon reaching the desktop, specifically when it started the Update Manager. That's how I narrowed things down to the network manager.

What hardware are you using ?

Beans

it freezes randomly.. sometimes before boot. sometimes in login.. sometime after login working 2 mins mine is amddual core.. nvidia chipset asus motherboard

Beans

Yeah i have had the same problems with 9.04. it freezes even when i use the audio production software and that sucks So i made some experiments of my own and i found 3 ways to make the buggy software works with no vulnerabilities. the ways are:

1. Add the following in the menu.lst in the kernel options: "nosmp pnpbios=off acpi=off" it works but it reduces the Productivity of my hardware and that's not the idea after all
    2. Upgrade from Hardy 8.04and keep the hardy RT kernel "2.6.24.24". The Hardy RT kernel is stable and can be trusted. To prevent conflicts do not install any additional software during the upgrade. Well if you are feeling lucky it will work perfectly 4 U
    3.Install the new testing 64studio kernel "2.6.29-1-mulimedia" available on both i386 and amd64 versions. i install the following
    "linux-kbuild-2.6.29_2.6.29-1_amd64"
    "linux-headers-2.6.29-1-common-multimedia_2.6.29-2_amd64"
    "linux-headers-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64_2.6.29-2_amd64"
    "linux-image-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64_2.6.29-2_amd64"
    well if you want to do that, it will be nice to download the .deb files before reinstall the fresh US-9.04, because you can't use the internet with this buggy kernel . So install the fresh US-9.04 add the new kernel and you are fine. The sympatic manager will give you error 128 (can't compile the new kernel), every time you install or upgrade some new software. BUT WHO CARES. it's better to work fine with some uninteresting tiny error, than no work at all but with no errors .
    well if you like to try and share the experience here. Let's make this software works for us.
    VIVA LINUX

Beans

I'm trying the custom RT kernel, leave my system on for 30-40 hours, and report stability. (And feature regressions, if applicable)

Edit: The custom kernel crashed less frequently, but still did.
    Last edited by carlotheman; June 1st, 2009 at 11:24 AM.

Beans

I am now trying the 64studio beta kernel. You can install it by installing a single package.

64studio RT-Kernel 32bit (headers)

64studio RT-Kernel 64bit (headers)

All Ubuntu functionality is working on my system (although I am not using any restricted drivers). Realtime performance is a definite improvement over the Jaunty RT-kernel.

I will report back with a stability report in about 48 hours.

Carlo

Edit: There have been no crashes since upgrading to this kernel. Real time performance has significantly improved. There have been no feature regressions for my system (Samsung R41 Madea notebook)

Edit2: For some reason similar crashes have since returned, similarly frequent; however, now the computer can be restarted with ALT-PRNTSC-REISUB. I am now trying the following in addition to the new kernel.

Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://temp.minimum.se/mesa_with_fixed_ati_bug/libgl1-mesa-dri_7.4-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://temp.minimum.se/mesa_with_fixed_ati_bug/libgl1-mesa-glx_7.4-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libgl1-mesa-dri_7.4-0ubuntu3_i386.deb libgl1-mesa-glx_7.4-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    This approach found on a post on the OSS Notebook blog.

Edit3: The combined approach of aforementioned packages and the new kernel seem to render a stable Jaunty System. Finally, if I may add this! I also locked the two packages in synaptic to avoid upgrades that don't contain the fix.

Edit4: Apparently, there is *still*, even after all this trouble, the occasional hard freeze. It's rare enough to have a better-than-nothing usable system, but I am really thinking about getting myself a laptop that is somehow "officially supported" or something.
    Last edited by carlotheman; July 17th, 2009 at 06:59 AM.

Beans

Hello!

I have had the same problem.

I followed the instorcution form Totalchaos
    2. Upgrade from Hardy 8.04and keep the hardy RT kernel "2.6.24.24". The Hardy RT kernel is stable and can be trusted. To prevent conflicts do not install any additional software during the upgrade. Well if you are feeling lucky it will work perfectly 4 U
    So I did install 8.04 and updated everything to 9.04 but the rt-kernel. It works, but it is not really the solution on a long term.

So three questions:
    1) How can I install BETAS through Synaptic? (to try the third option of Totalchaos)
    2) How do I known when a stable/corrected RT-kernel 9.04 is ready to be installed? Is there some RSS news list, or should I just wait for someone from this forum to post the news?
    3) I have an AMD64 system. Rexpectively, I installed the 64US. The problem now is that not all programs work, since they were writen for 32bit systems (e.g.Skype). Is there some major disadvantage to go the 32bit US version?

Cheers....
    Patrick

PS: For years I have been trying to change my system to linux, but since I'm doing a lot of audio production, that was impossible. Now with US that is finally possible (I still did not check if all my audio hardware works, but it seems to work ESI ESP1010 soundcard). It is just a pitty, that problems, like the ones discussed in this forum (continue) to occur, because this invites me to go back to my Windows+Cubase system. So I hope that a STABLE 9.04+ US version will appear soon!!!!! In this sence THANK YOU TO ALL working on this RT system. Cheers

Beans

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This is so friggin' ridiculous. I hate how everytime I upgrade, I must deal with crap like this.

I've tried to install that 64studio kernel, but it gave me errors.

It says:

User postinst hook script [update grub] exited with value 20
    dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 (--install):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exist status 20
    Errors were encountered while processing"
    linux image-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64

Help?

edit: okay the kernel did apparently work....I've only been using it for a good twenty minutes but no issues so far. What were those two packages you locked, and how can I lock them? (please )
    Last edited by Cthulhu_Dreams; July 12th, 2009 at 05:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_Dreams View Post
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    edit: okay the kernel did apparently work....I've only been using it for a good twenty minutes but no issues so far. What were those two packages you locked, and how can I lock them? (please )
    Hey! Glad it worked for you... I share your frustrations... I know UbuntuStudio is a volunteer effort so I'm grateful for what they have accomplished and it amazes me... but that doesn't keep me from REALLY WISHING IT WOULD WORK OUT OF THE BOX!

I two packages I locked are: libgl1-mesa-dri and libgl1-mea-glx. I search for mesa in synaptic to find them, clicked each one to select it and chose Package -> Lock Version on it.

Beans

Re: UbuntuStudio 9.04 FREEZEEZ WHEN UPDATE

Whereas Kubuntu has been as steady as a rock for me in both 32 and 64 bit versions, Ubuntu Studio has been a problem since I started with 8.04.

The machine in question is a laptop with an Athlon X2. So, no hyperthreading, but two cores. 9.04 (64bit) has been a dreadful pain with jack dying a death after around 8 seconds. I added a maxcpus=1 in the kernel line of Grub for Ubuntu Studio and the change is dramatic. The installation is now stable and supporting Firewire audio for the first time. i don't think the RT kernals have been really happy on multiple cores for a few versions now.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123