Thread: A summary of JJ (Ubunt 09.04) on a 2,1 MacBook Pro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

A summary of JJ (Ubunt 09.04) on a 2,1 MacBook Pro

Have installed JJ on an MBP on which I had II, fairly well configured, thanks to the lots of help of posters here.
    My assessment of JJ is : much ado about nothing.

The good:
    - a limited number of graphic tools instead of the usual unintelligible and cryptic text-only config files;
    - Atheros WiFi working out of the box (this is a major improvement, considering the voodoo one had to put up with to get the blasted thing to work earlier);

The bad:
    - upgrade tool absolute crap for my MBP - it plain doesn't work; no excuse is possible or likely;
    - partitioning tool on the installCD hasn't got a clue, though a bit clearer than previously;

The real bad:
    - ATI graphic cards totally forgotten; no target date envisaged yet (i.e. after the stable version's release); radeon open source driver not really catering for these cards; a few workaround, which require deep black magic knowledge are floating around.

All in all, I am wondering why I upgraded and will consider whether to get back to II in three-four weeks, once I get more of a feel for this release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A summary of JJ (Ubunt 09.04) on a 2,1 MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralSunTzu View Post
    - upgrade tool absolute crap for my MBP - it plain doesn't work; no excuse is possible or likely;
    This is not uncommon. It is suggested that you not use the upgrade tool, but rather you should do a fresh install each time.

- partitioning tool on the installCD hasn't got a clue, though a bit clearer than previously;
    Could you reiterate what it is you are talking about?

- ATI graphic cards totally forgotten; no target date envisaged yet (i.e. after the stable version's release); radeon open source driver not really catering for these cards; a few workaround, which require deep black magic knowledge are floating around.
    I assume you talking about the fact that the Hardware Drivers thingy doesn't suggest fglrx anymore. The issue here is that Ubuntu uses a newer xserver version, and the fglrx driver available for it doesn't support many of the older cards (like the X1600).