View Poll Results: Should I use to Jaunty?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes to Jaunty + ext3/JFS

1 2.78%
  • Yes to Jaunty + ext4

21 58.33%
  • Stick with Debian Lenny

7 19.44%
  • Toss a dice!

7 19.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide - to Jackalope or not to Jackalope

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Help me decide - to Jackalope or not to Jackalope

I'm having a crisis... a geek crisis. I can't decide whether to install Jaunty. Usually I'm pretty decisive about everything, but I'm torn on this one.

Right now, I'm running a very well-setup Debian Lenny system. Reliability-wise, it has been faultless. It's fast and efficient. I have it customised exactly as I want, including hand-installations of newer software to replace the obsolete ones from Debian repos.

But should I switch back to Ubuntu and install Jaunty?

I run a production system for work and study, so it needs to be reliable (no weekly crashes, thanks). On the other hand, I'd like up-to-date Firefox, OpenOffice, and Qt, which Ubuntu provides regularly, but Debian stable does not at all.

I'd also like feedback on how ext4 users are finding their system's performance and reliability. My filesystems of choice have been ext3 and JFS, and both have served me very very well. Is ext4 worth the risk of change?

What to do, what to do, what to do? Enlighten me with your collective wisdom!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Help me decide - to Jackalope or not to Jackalope

I've had no problems with 9.04+Ext4 so far, and it seems like there's a good speed increase from 8.10. I voted to install 9.04, but if you have a good setup already that you're happy with then there isn't a lot of point in changing that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i've been running ext4 with 64bit jaunty for about 5 weeks without any issues. runs flawless for me. in fact, it's the best OS i've ever used in 20 years.

and i could never go back after getting used to the speed increase. i'm spoiled now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I dont know if its possible but dual booting?
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I voted to stick with your current setup. Just re-read your post and it sounds clear that what you want is what you have right now. Of course, you could always install Jaunty on another partition to play with and see if it runs just as well. But I wouldn't replace or delete your current Debian system if it's working so well for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'll vote Jaunty. While you may have your Debian system customised just the way you like it, there's no reason why you can't fo the same with Ubuntu. I think your post is neutral but leans more towards Ubuntu:
    I'd like up-to-date Firefox, OpenOffice, and Qt, which Ubuntu provides regularly, but Debian stable does not at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you should leave your debian intact at all costs. what is the ultimate solution to your present situations questions and problems is to buy a new computer which you should jackalope all the way
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Using Jaunty has been a very very good experience for me, everything is just faster. Ext4 has given me no problems what-so-ever. Jaunty is rock solid and quite possibly the best release of Ubuntu for me, I love it!

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Speed: Jackalope
    Stability: Lenny

Both are fast though and both are stable in my opinion. It's just a matter of what you want greater.

Beans

DO NOT SWITCH!

atleast for right now, wait until it is confirmed to work properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast