Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ath9k low signal strength on Jaunty 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Ath9k low signal strength on Jaunty 9.04

Hello all,

First, let me say that I am very, very pleased with Ubuntu. God bless all of those who have contributed to making Linux what it is today. It *just* works!

However, wireless seems to be a continuous work-in-progress. I have an Atheros AR928x pcie wifi in my Dell Mini 9 running the latest Netbook Remix and the wireless signal is simply abysmal. I have other laptops, so I know my signal is good, but from my bedroom (less than 10 ft from my WRT54G tomato-based router), I get about 25%-35% signal strength.

What can I do?

I've installed the "linux-backports-module" and even tried the compat-wireless, but nothing seems to improve the signal strength.

Beans

Re: Ath9k low signal strength on Jaunty 9.04

i seem to be having the same problem, but with a rosewill external card (usb dongle). Windows picks it up great, 90%, but the Tu only hits 20%-30%, with lots of dropped signals.
    FOLDING FOR TEAM 32

Beans
    Distro

I tried but could not get ndiswrapper to work. Is anyone using the Windows drivers on Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ngfrazier View Post
    Hello all,

First, let me say that I am very, very pleased with Ubuntu. God bless all of those who have contributed to making Linux what it is today. It *just* works!

However, wireless seems to be a continuous work-in-progress. I have an Atheros AR928x pcie wifi in my Dell Mini 9 running the latest Netbook Remix and the wireless signal is simply abysmal. I have other laptops, so I know my signal is good, but from my bedroom (less than 10 ft from my WRT54G tomato-based router), I get about 25%-35% signal strength.

What can I do?

I've installed the "linux-backports-module" and even tried the compat-wireless, but nothing seems to improve the signal strength
    Same issue here with Atheros AR928x also. I wanted to add that it seems that "txpower 20dBm" seems to be the max configureable :-/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm also experiencing the same problem with my Atheros AR242x wireless device running on this otherwise marvelous distribution of ubuntu (Jaunty). Hope to hear some feedback soon.

Ah by the way, the signal doesn't pick up to 100% as it used to do under Intrepid when I bring my accesspoint close to my computer.
    Last edited by juliobahar; May 2nd, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ngfrazier View Post
    Hello all,

What can I do?

I've installed the "linux-backports-module" and even tried the compat-wireless, but nothing seems to improve the signal strength.
    I had the same problem, but it seems that I've partially solved it using this info that I've got from launchpad (thanks to Alex):

Install those 2 packages:

1-linux-backports-modules-jaunty
    2-wicd

Reboot... and inform us of your results

Hope it works

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by juliobahar View Post
    I had the same problem, but it seems that I've partially solved it using this info that I've got from launchpad (thanks to Alex):

Install those 2 packages:

1-linux-backports-modules-jaunty
    2-wicd

Reboot... and inform us of your results

Hope it works
    I had already installed the backports-module--it certainly helps. I just installed WICD. Excellent program; however, it doesn't seem to improve the signal (which I assume is a driver issue anyway).

Cheers

Beans

This solved my issue on my asus p5n32-sli onboard wifi!!
    I had 14-15% before installing the modules mentioned above and now i get 65-75%

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a fresh install of Kubuntu 9 and with KNetworkManager I had, at best, a sluggish wifi connection with my Atheros card (D-Link).
    I was unable to use ICA (citrix), kopete etc.
    But this solution took care of it!

>Install those 2 packages:
    >1-linux-backports-modules-jaunty
    >2-wicd

THANKS!

Beans

I had a similar problem in Intrepid that I solved the same way (without WICD, which i've discovered is nice). running "sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty" definitely fixed this for me.

Edit: I should say this wasn't a matter of signal strength for me. Rather it was going from absolutely no wireless at all, to working wireless (WOOT).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast