Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xorg.conf for 1920x1080 on jaunty

Beans

Re: xorg.conf for 1920x1080 on jaunty

I have the same problem and I have an ATI X850.

I've always configured the file xorg.conf until Ubuntu 8.10 but now with 9.04 it doesn't work.

My screen resolution doesn't even appear in xrandr. I have to set it manually with the commands given above.

And when you restart, same old, same old.

Dest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dest View Post
    I have the same problem and I have an ATI X850.

I've always configured the file xorg.conf until Ubuntu 8.10 but now with 9.04 it doesn't work.

My screen resolution doesn't even appear in xrandr. I have to set it manually with the commands given above.

And when you restart, same old, same old.

Dest.
    Not the best solution but what about writing a script to run those commands
    and add it to the Startup Applications?

If you don't know how to do that I'll write one.

Beans

I know how to do it.

I haven't given up yet, I'll try again when I'll be back home so it can work properly and preferably with xorg.conf.

Dammit Xorg ! I'm fed up of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello,

I had same problem.

This helped me learn about Xrandr

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

which shows how to persist the xrandr settings after reboot:

Setting xrandr changes persistently

There are several ways to make xrandr customizations permanent from session to session: a) .xprofile, b) kdm/gdm, c) xorg.conf. Each of these mechanisms will be discussed in turn.

Setting xrandr commands in .xprofile

A user's ~/.xprofile file is executed on Xorg startup if it exists and is executable. You can copy and paste xrandr command line strings into this file so they're executed when you log in. For example:

$ xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 800x600

There are two disadvantages to using .xprofile for xrandr settings. First, it occurs fairly late in the startup process, so you'll see some resolution resizing during the initial screen draw; in some cases panel windows may resize improperly as a result. Second, as this is a per-user setting, it won't affect the resolutions of other users, nor will it alter the resolution on the login screen.

Setting xrandr commands in kdm/gdm startup scripts

Both KDM and GDM have startup scripts that are executed when X is initiated. For GDM, these are in /etc/gdm/, while for KDM this is done at /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup. In either case, you can paste in an xrandr command line string into one of these scripts.

This process requires root access and mucking around in system config files, but will take effect earlier in the startup process than using .xprofile, and will apply to all users including the login screen.

Setting resolution changes in xorg.conf

hth

Beans
    Hidden!

@mdurkin:
    Thanks for the ~/.config/monitors.xml tip! I had the same problem as you did (resolution is forgotten on restart) and I've changed the values in ~/.config/monitors.xml and now I get the correct resolution on startup.

Also before that, I had changed some values in gconf-editor (in desktop->gnome->screen->default->0). Hope it helps to those who havn't fixed this yet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12