Thread: won't dual boot

Beans

won't dual boot

Hi I just put together a new system and installed winXP professional 64 bit. Did this for the games. Now i've installed ubuntu 9.04 but grub doesn't load at boot. I just go straight into windows without an option for ubuntu.

I'm sure there's a simple fix can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

*note at the bottom, I fixed the problem*
    Last edited by shload; April 26th, 2009 at 06:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: won't dual boot

Which system did you install first Windows or Ubuntu????

Beans

I installed win XP first. I just built an all new computer but i'm using the old hard drive from my other comp. I had winXP x86 and ubuntu x86 and suse x86 installed on that system. I wiped the hard drive and started fresh with the new comp. installed winXP 64 and now ubuntu 64bit.

So the only thing that's changed is that i'm using 64bit systems, and new hard ware. think this may be a simple hard ware issue...perhaps i missed a setting in bios?

Beans

Ok i figured out my problem. I've got a second hard drive in the comp and though i installed on one hard drive ubuntu wanted to install grub on the other. The option to change that comes at the very last step of the installation.

There's an "advanced" button to press before clicking the last button for install. It is in the advanced option that i guess you can edit a couple grub options, like which hard drive to install to.

Would have been nice for this kind of option to stand out a little more. ah well all fixed.