Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to construct "music htpc"?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

How to construct "music htpc"?

Hello. I have some 350 CDs and lots of mp3s, flacs and oggs in my music collection. The CDs do take up some space and I'd like to be able to able to listen to all my music from one place.

So I want to rip my CDs to flacs and build a small, cheap, quiet and energy efficient htpc-like computer. Either it should have a large HD or use my LAN to access music on my main computer. This in itself is not very difficult, but I have some more wishes that I don't know how to solve:

I want to be able to browse and play music without having to have a monitor/TV connected. So this means having buttons on the case (or next to it) and a very small screen. The screen could be a monochrome text display (cheap), but I don't know how to choose one that works and how to connect it.
    Changing settings on the machine can be done using ssh from another machine, so the buttons only need to control the music browsing/playing. Also a remote control would be nice, but not that crucial. On the other hand, a remote control may be easier to fix than the buttons on the machine?

Any suggestions on hardware and software solutions to this is very much appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How to construct "music htpc"?

It would be easier to use a remote with LiRC. I would google for some monochrome displays, but you might have to settle for a small (USB maybe) 7" display.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've been thinking about doing something like this too. My idea is to use a minimal terminal to control the music, which is being streamed from a server running mpd (music player daemon) somewhere else (to cut down on noise/space etc).

I've had a brief look for monitors and it shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of one for under £40, although this is still a bit too pricey. There's a lot of small car monitors available although it's actually quite difficult to find anything monochrome - or at least I found it difficult I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. Let me know if you do find or know of something, I'd be very interested. My plan for control keys was to use a USB numeric keypad and then remap the buttons for the necessary functions, which should be straightforward I think.

If you do get hold of a small monochrome display capable of displaying a terminal then an ncurses music player such ncmpc/mpd would be an ideal solution and mpd could run on the same or another machine. If you only have a single line display mpd/mpc could work too. For remote control anyremote running on a mobile phone works well, although something like LiRC would be optimal (I have no experience with IR control though).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I was also thinking about using a numeric keypad as base for the buttons.

A "terminal screen" (is that the right name?) is what I'd like to have. How do I know that it will work with Linux/Ubuntu? And how do I choose and setup music software for this? Any links to guides about it would be nice!

I think I'd like the music library to reside on my other computer, so that the music htpc will mount the right drives upon startup/login. Usually I use ssh for this.

So far I've planned on getting a cheap mini-itx board with Atom cpu and a digital sound output.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Last edited by gn2; May 2nd, 2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Price change

Beans

Have you considered buying a wireless network stereo?

Those kind of things can access your music on your server (that you would run on your desktop) and will play it.

This one for example seems like something that would fit your needs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audi...-33232996.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    That is a nice machine and I may be interested in it. But I still would have to have the TV on in order to play music.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    Have you considered buying a wireless network stereo?

Those kind of things can access your music on your server (that you would run on your desktop) and will play it.

This one for example seems like something that would fit your needs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audi...-33232996.html
    That is a good idea. But it has to work with linux computers and should not have any speakers. I want a unit for my stereo setup and with a digital output (spdif preferrably)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by bogoliubov View Post
    That is a nice machine and I may be interested in it. But I still would have to have the TV on in order to play music.
    Once you've selected the tracks you want to hear, just switch the TV (or monitor) off.

EDIT: Or just use a netbook.....?
    Last edited by gn2; April 26th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bogoliubov View Post
    Hello. I have some 350 CDs and lots of mp3s, flacs and oggs in my music collection. The CDs do take up some space and I'd like to be able to able to listen to all my music from one place.

So I want to rip my CDs to flacs and build a small, cheap, quiet and energy efficient htpc-like computer. Either it should have a large HD or use my LAN to access music on my main computer. This in itself is not very difficult, but I have some more wishes that I don't know how to solve:

I want to be able to browse and play music without having to have a monitor/TV connected. So this means having buttons on the case (or next to it) and a very small screen. The screen could be a monochrome text display (cheap), but I don't know how to choose one that works and how to connect it.
    Changing settings on the machine can be done using ssh from another machine, so the buttons only need to control the music browsing/playing. Also a remote control would be nice, but not that crucial. On the other hand, a remote control may be easier to fix than the buttons on the machine?

Any suggestions on hardware and software solutions to this is very much appreciated!
    here you go:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=76

enjoy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast