Thread: unable to install on new sata machine

Beans

unable to install on new sata machine

Hi there,

I have just taken delivery of a new core i7 system (Asus P6T-Deluxe) that is 100% SATA (no IDE devices).

I have successfully installed Jaunty no problems but there are dependencies I need that are not available for it, so I want to install Hardy LTS.

However, it would seem that Hardy can't install from a SATA CD-ROM (you get an error "no common cd-rom drives found"), which is strange given that the machine does boot the Ubuntu install CD that is in the very same drive.

I attached an IDE CD-ROM just to test. That worked but then no hard drives were found. As all these are SATA I draw the conclusion that for some reason SATA is not supported by the installer.

In both cases above I have tried the Alternate install CD.

I would have thought the latest LTS version would support SATA. Are there any resolutions to this problem available ?

Beans

Re: unable to install on new sata machine

Linux not supporting SATA at all - it's a known problem.
    Install on IDE or use VMWARE inside Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: unable to install on new sata machine

Not exactly correct--I'm on a i7 920 unit with SATA only & I have several installs going. You need to go into your BIOS & start your SATA devices as legacy IDE--if you run everything as hot-plugged SATA you can't install...By the way--the i7 with Jaunty is blazingly fast!!!
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans

It doesn't work for me with legacy IDE or AHCI. My machine was originally set to Legacy IDE.

I have got it installed with Jaunty, no problems at all. My issue is caused by wanting to run openVZ which is only supported on Hardy LTS. I really need to find a way to get Hardy installed...

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: unable to install on new sata machine

The only other thought I would have is to buy a IDE PCI card that is supported by Linux--Not sure I can help you there....
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans

thanks, I have it installed using Hardy Desktop (could not get it to work with the alternate CD). I had to add a kernel parameter all_generic_ide.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: unable to install on new sata machine

Good to hear--How are you liking the i7? I've had mine for about 3 months now--running stable @ 3.5GHZ using a Zalman 9700 for cooling--with BOINC using all 8 cores my temps are running in the low 60c range. My BOINC scores have gone thru the roof

If you look at the bottom of the first post on this link: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/ There is a couple of good .pdfs about O/Cing the 920...Very different from the older Q series.....
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans

autocrosser - hate to make you turn green but my Core i7 920 is a D0 stepping and is overclocked to 4Ghz!!! I'm only on my second day but like it so far. The only problem has been Ubuntu, and I really hate saying that

I am determined not let Microsoft near this new machine, except in a carefully contriled virtual machine

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: unable to install on new sata machine

NA--it's cool--I tend to O/C on the safe side & a 1GHZ O/C over stock works very well for me--I had it running at 4.1 a couple of days after I got it, but the temps were a bit much for me so I went to a lower number that "should" be good for the long-term.... I was a "early-adopter" & got a 920 as soon as it was available--I'm waiting until the new Intel releases to step up to a 940 or newer.

What Memory are you running? I've got G-Skill 9-9-9-24 1600 right now--thinking about 2000 stuff--My Gigabyte M/B will run up to 2100 on mem multi...

Hang in there with Ubuntu--I've been with it from the very early days & each update has been better..If you are interested, the Karmic (9.10) testing group will be starting up in about 2 weeks or so--I really like the "over-the-bleeding-edge" testing & start with the new group before alpha1---You might look in from time to time--about alpha 4 or 5 things start getting stable for the next release & you get to play with all the shiny new toys
    Last edited by autocrosser; April 27th, 2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: more info
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans

I have it running now with Hardy Desktop (I could not get the alternate CD to work at all). The desktop CD worked but needed a kernel parameter "all_generic_ide".

The problem is I now have bloat that I don't need that I will have to uninstall at some point. At least it's installed though, - I have HArdy 64 bit with OpenVZ up and running