Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOW TO: Install FireFox 1.0 from the Backports Project

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install FireFox 1.0 from the Backports Project

How do I get FF and TB 1.0 when using the AMD64 version of Ubuntu. I get errors when using this backport.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the tip. Once you've added the backports repository and done an apt-get update, shouldn't it be sudo apt-get upgrade rather than install? (assuming you have both Firefox and Thunderbird already installed, of course) I did apt-get upgrade and found that 2 packages had holds on them - hotplug and mozilla-thunderbird. I have no idea why (I did apt-get check and they are both OK). Can you have problems if you override a hold?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

In this walkthrough should I recomend to people they remove the line from the sources file once the update has been made?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just found a German version of this howto that users in various non-English locales will find extra helpful. If you read German go to http://www.ubuntuusers.de/wiki/inter...x_installieren . For those who don't, it's basically the same as this one only you add a different repository to /etc/apt/sources.list . You can obtain Firefox 1.0 and (at time of writing) 1.0-compatible localisation packs for German, French, Japanese, Catalan, Ukrainian, Norwegian, Turkish, and Polish, plus some package which is supposed to integrate FF 1.0 better into Gnome (which I haven't tried yet).

Follow clparker's steps, but INSTEAD OF the backports repository, use this one -

deb http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ut8g/ubuntu/ warty-updates main universe

Once you've installed FF I guess you could add the backports one, but I would say it's definitely safer to not have them both in your sources.list at once when you do apt-get update (though this is not based on any technical know-how, just what seems like commonsense).

I installed FF 1.0 plus German localisation from here, and everything is running sweetly. I had problems upgrading FF 0.93 to 1.0 via backports repository-the German pack plus the language switcher for 1.0 which I got separately from Mozilla failed to work properly. So I uninstalled 0.93 and started over. However, had I known about the German repository I probably would not have had to do anything this drastic, instead just grab the German localisation from it.

But it's all over now. I'm a happy camper again.

PS. clparker, maybe edit your original howto post with relevant details from my one here?
    Last edited by pseudonym; January 24th, 2005 at 12:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm sorry... I'll get locales in soon for Thunderbird and Firefox.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Subcribes 2 thread
    Eejay

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'll look into a backport of nicotine for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I'm sorry... I'll get locales in soon for Thunderbird and Firefox.
    All Firefox locales are compiled & marked STABLE...

Thunderbird locales are coming along.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12