Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome and Matlab - missing icon

Beans

Gnome and Matlab - missing icon

Dear all,

I've noticed that Matlab's window list entry often does not appear in Gnome's Window List applet. For example, see attached screenshot. At other times it does appear, although I can't identify any pattern (editor open/closed, variable editor open/closed) which will make it either appear or disappear.

I am running Jaunty, Window List 2.26.0 and Matlab R2008b. This isn't a serious problem but it is bizarre and any wisdom on insight would be much appreciated!!

Christo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Gnome and Matlab - missing icon

I'm getting the same thing. If I minimize matlab, it shows up in the winow list again. (Save versions of window list and matlab).

I'm using metacity w/ some desktop effects. If you disable desktop effects (System->Preferences->Appearance then the Visual Effects tab), the matlab window stops disappearing, though you do lose your cool effects.

This also occured with prior versions of ubuntu.

Rather annoying.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gazer22 View Post
    I'm getting the same thing. If I minimize matlab, it shows up in the winow list again. (Save versions of window list and matlab).

I'm using metacity w/ some desktop effects. If you disable desktop effects (System->Preferences->Appearance then the Visual Effects tab), the matlab window stops disappearing, though you do lose your cool effects.

This also occured with prior versions of ubuntu.

Rather annoying.
    Thanks for the suggestion - I just tried minimising it and it reappeared exactly as you suggested. For the record I have my visual effects set on "Normal" - the top setting looks cool, and I try it from time to time but I don't normally use it.

What is annoying (and it affects both Normal and Extra is how it can stick some windows to the edge of the screen for so much mouse travel. If anyone has any suggestions on how to change that I'd love to hear them!

Christo

Beans

same here

Beans

How about disabling the visual effects completely? Matlab and visual effects never work well together. I bet the visual effects are kinda distracting you from your work in matlab in the first place.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Nepherte View Post
    How about disabling the visual effects completely? Matlab and visual effects never work well together. I bet the visual effects are kinda distracting you from your work in matlab in the first place.
    Yes, that works. However, I NEED to be distracted from matlab...

Beans

I have this problem too. However, I use KDE (4.3.2) sometimes and even with desktop effects enabled, MATLAB shows up in all its glory all the time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use Matlab via terminal (./matlab -nodesktop) and am very happy at the speed increase over the full desktop(on my nettop).

Just a thought to those who care.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Has anyone found a permanent solution? I have this problem also and am using Matlab R2010a with Ubuntu 10.10.

Beans

Novell GroupWise also has this same issue - and disabling desktop effects seems to have corrected it. However, this is not a desirable solution. Does anyone else have an idea about this?

Is MatLab also a Java-based application? Trying to think of similarities between GroupWise and MatLab that might help us figure out a solution...
    Last edited by deezer; January 13th, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast