Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Walkman USB not working after upgrade to 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sony Walkman USB not working after upgrade to 9.04

So in 8.10 I would plug in my Sony MP3 Walkman (NWZ-S616F) and it would recognize it, mount it automatically and open it in nautilus for me to drag and drop my songs onto.

In 9.04 it recognizes it as something with a different name "Sony Corp. WALKMAN" and then mounts it, but nothing shows up in the folder.. it's empty. It says up the top "These files are on a Digital Audio Player" and then has a button saying "Open VLC media player" to the right.

Any ideas??
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Sony Walkman USB not working after upgrade to 9.04

Check this out

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/347902

and the temporary solution is to kill the process of gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This bug still hasn't been fixed... it's very annoying not being able to put songs onto my MP3 player.
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans

For my NWZ-S616F, It was necessary to kill gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor, after that connect the device and that's it. Nautilus will open it as a normal usb memory and you can put music into it again.
    I hope we will have an official work around soon, I have some problems with Hal with intrepid as well, it looks like sony walkman is not so ubuntu compatible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The "kill gphoto" trick hasn't worked for me, and the "edit this text file" thing temporarily stopped my CDs from automounting. The Walkman bug only affects Gnome, so whenever I need to work with my MP3 player I just load up KDE. Not an elegant solution but it works until somebody pulls their finger out and fixes the problem!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Killing the gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor worked for me.
    (unplug the device and plug it in again - should be automatically mounted)

Peripheral: NWZ-A815
    Ubuntu Ver: 9.04 (jaunty)
    Laptop Mod: IBM Thinkpad x61s

Beans

How do I kill it? Can you provided step by step directions or a link to the directions on how to kill it so I can use my sonywalkman.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlands View Post
    How do I kill it? Can you provided step by step directions or a link to the directions on how to kill it so I can use my sonywalkman.
    Code:
    killall gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
    If that doesn't work, time to install KDE
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've posted this link, got many good tip and decided I want the Sony NWZ-S639F 16gb, their smallest player with excellent (sopund) ratings.

But reading the problems you all have maybe I shouldn't???

What do you think?
    01123581321345589144233377610987159725844181676510 94617711286574636875025121393196418317811

Beans

killall gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor

worked for me thanx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast