Thread: Running Warcraft 3 in Full Screen Mode?

Beans

Running Warcraft 3 in Full Screen Mode?

Hi guys, I'm sorry I know this has been discussed before (without success I've noticed from the other threads) but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get Warcraft 3 to run in full screen mode using Wine?

Here is an image of what is happening when I run the game:
    http://imgur.com/1o0e.png

Essentially, when I am in-game and I try to pan around the map by moving my mouse to the corners of the screen, the mouse leaves the game window and moves onto the desktop, which kills the gameplay.

I am running the version 1.1.19 of Wine. I am running Ubuntu version 9.04.
    I have tried configuring Wine to run in a virtual desktop which does not work, as well as having it not run in a virtual desktop.

I have a nVidia Geforce Go 6100 in my laptop, and currently have the nVidia accelerated graphics driver version 180 installed and working.

The only problem with the game is that it won't run full screen. I've also tried simply switching the game to another workspace to see if it runs full screen, but it does not.

Anyways, if anyone can help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Running Warcraft 3 in Full Screen Mode?

Have you tried turning off desktop effects?

Beans

Hey, that fixed it. Thank you very much.

Beans

Wow.. that fixed it? You didn't do anything extra? :O
    Mine doesn't run full screen either, and no effects doesn't help.

Do I need to run it with opengl to get full screen? and if so, how is that possible? :O

TFC

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by hungryOrb View Post
    Wow.. that fixed it? You didn't do anything extra? :O
    Mine doesn't run full screen either, and no effects doesn't help.

Do I need to run it with opengl to get full screen? and if so, how is that possible? :O

TFC
    Just tack on --opengl at the end of it.
    If I helped you, and you still need more help, free free to contact me on AIM. My Xfire is elitehak.

Beans

thanks! didn't get the full screen though.. waaa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by noob_penguin View Post
    Hi guys, I'm sorry I know this has been discussed before (without success I've noticed from the other threads) but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get Warcraft 3 to run in full screen mode using Wine?

Here is an image of what is happening when I run the game:
    http://imgur.com/1o0e.png

Essentially, when I am in-game and I try to pan around the map by moving my mouse to the corners of the screen, the mouse leaves the game window and moves onto the desktop, which kills the gameplay.

I am running the version 1.1.19 of Wine. I am running Ubuntu version 9.04.
    I have tried configuring Wine to run in a virtual desktop which does not work, as well as having it not run in a virtual desktop.

I have a nVidia Geforce Go 6100 in my laptop, and currently have the nVidia accelerated graphics driver version 180 installed and working.

The only problem with the game is that it won't run full screen. I've also tried simply switching the game to another workspace to see if it runs full screen, but it does not.

Anyways, if anyone can help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
    I have found the solution. Install compiz settings manager:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Go into Compiz Settings, then Workarounds and enable Legacy Fullscreen Support.

Beans

I found a solution from Dimitar Boichev which I have blogged on at Full-screen Warcraft under Wine. The solution involves X windows and may have performance benefits as well.

Here is what worked for me (minor changes from what Dimitar did):

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
    Change:

Code:
    allowed_users=console
    to
    Code:
    allowed_users=anybody
    Then save and quit.

Applications>Wine>Configure Wine select the game you want under applications and then, under Graphics, make sure you untick “Emulate a virtual desktop”.

I also copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf as /etc/X11/only_one_monitor.conf so that I could handle my dual monitor setup by playing Warcraft full-screen in one monitor only. I needed to change:

Code:
    "TwinView" "1"
    to
    Code:
    "TwinView" "0"
    i.e. turn dual (twin) view off

Then I created a bash script with the following content (NB to use your username and the correct path to your game) and saved it to my desktop:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    X :2 -ac -terminate -config only_one_monitor.conf & sleep 2
    DISPLAY=:2 nice -20 env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "c:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe"
    Then make the bash script executable (under the file’s Properties>Permissions>Execute - tick the tickbox). Double click it and select run to enjoy full-screen Warcraft etc.

Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F9 lets you switch between X windows.