Thread: Back to 8.10, will updates ruin my Combiz?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Back to 8.10, will updates ruin my Combiz?

Hi all,
    after upgrading to 9.04 from 8.10 I had to re install from scratch back to 8.10 to get Compiz to work since I have the ATI x1950pro.

My question is that if I never hit the upgrade to 9.04, will any other updates change my settings and drivers? Will updates ruin my current settings which are just the way I want them? Compiz working fine and all....
    Never run after a bus or a woman, there will always be anotherone in 20 minutes!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Back to 8.10, will updates ruin my Combiz?

Do you mean you downgraded to 8.10 just to get Compiz to work? Hah. If you did a clean install of 9.04 before, then the only reason Compiz didn't work is because you hadn't reinstalled your graphics driver.

Beans
    Distro

I did an upgrade and a clean install of 9.04. My graphics card was not listed at all. And tried all nihght to get the drivers working with no luck.
    After some reading , i found out that the new 9.4 Catalyst drivers which work with 9.04, do not support my card. ATI X1950pro
    Never run after a bus or a woman, there will always be anotherone in 20 minutes!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For the most part you should be pretty safe. You likely won't be using the same versions of drivers, but it is not often that things change in such a way that newer versions of configuration files will result in bad behavior in older versions of programs. If you do recognize anything, you can ask on the forums to have users help you with specific problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLinx View Post
    Do you mean you downgraded to 8.10 just to get Compiz to work? Hah. If you did a clean install of 9.04 before, then the only reason Compiz didn't work is because you hadn't reinstalled your graphics driver.
    Actually, that's wrong. It seems from the info here, and this forum thread here, that the newest version of the fglrx driver doesn't support pre-X2xxx cards. Sorry man, looks like that's the deal. If you don't upgrade to that driver you should be fine though.

Beans
    Distro

Well 8.10 has my card listed under Hardware Drivers while 9.04 does not. And the drivers from the ATI site Catalyst 9.3 work perfectly with in 8.10 and Compiz and all. I even play Neverwinter Nights natively with not a problem.
    Too much trouble with 9.04 and my old card. So not going to waste another night on it. When i get a new PC with Nvidia I will install 9.04 or newer.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ROUBOS View Post
    Well 8.10 has my card listed under Hardware Drivers while 9.04 does not. And the drivers from the ATI site Catalyst 9.3 work perfectly with in 8.10 and Compiz and all. I even play Neverwinter Nights natively with not a problem.
    Too much trouble with 9.04 and my old card. So not going to waste another night on it. When i get a new PC with Nvidia I will install 9.04 or newer.
    Use what works for you

Beans
    Distro

Yep. 8.10 all the way