Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Workaround to get sound on HP mini 1000 (or 1120 NR) with Jaunty

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Workaround to get sound on HP mini 1000 (or 1120 NR) with Jaunty

Quote Originally Posted by kevindubrow View Post
    Hey, if I try your OS will I still be able to get the regular Ubuntu updates?
    It's not my OS. It's not a fully separate distro. It's a Ubuntu remix. All it means is I've taken Ubuntu, modified some config files, changed a few packages and settings, and then made an .iso out of it.

It is fully Ubuntu-compatible, as it uses only Ubuntu repositories. At a very basic level, it's just Ubuntu but with a sound fix for the HP Mini 1120nr. Some people have reported good results for other HP Mini models, but the only one I have tested it on is the 1120nr.

And is there a way to upgrade to it so I don't have to move my files and reinstall all of my programs?
    No. I'm not a programmer. If I were, I could make a .deb metapackage that would draw in the appropriate new packages, take out the appropriate old packages, and make the config files tweaks.

Beans

Talking Re: Workaround to get sound on HP mini 1000 (or 1120 NR) with Jaunty

thank you thank you thank you thank you aysiu!!! i was trying alllll day yesterday to get my sound back! it was working at first, but i wanted to do a clean install and start from scratch so i wouldn't have all these excess sound programs that i had added due to trial and errors -- very few of them actually worked anyway.

but once i tried the usual fix (the one at the beginning of this thread) which normally worked -- didn't. so all day long i was thrashing to figure out wtf was going wrong, until i was about to give up and try mandriva to see if it were any better, i remembered seeing your post (which i was hesitant because i don't have the same hp model as you) but i downloaded, installed and vioala! sound! not a bad color scheme either

and i don't even have to unmute everytime!
    plus no maximus! phew! thanks so much again! mad props!
    thanks so much for setting up that iso. had no problems with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Glad it worked for you!

Beans

I did this workaround after installing jaunty a while back and it worked great. but a few days ago, i lost all sound. i cant figure out why, i made no changes to anything other than the system updates from ubuntu. i really have no idea what to do or what could have caused this. anyone else run into this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Every time there is a kernel update, you will need to

sudo m-a a-i alsa-source

and then reboot for sound to be fixed again with this workaround.

I'm beginning to think there won't be an official fix for Jaunty...EVER. So when you see kernel updates in Update Manager, you will need to manually do this after applying the kernel updates. Fun!

Beans

it didnt work =(

Beans

Okay,

What is the work around for us HP Mini users that have LPIA processors???
    The HP MINI 1000 doesn't use a PPA processor it has a LPIA?

I tried everything to try to get sound working! Nothing works so far

Quote Originally Posted by mozillar View Post
    After a clean install of Jaunty on my HP mini 1120 NR, there was no sound from the speaker. Sound from the headphone jack did work, however.

This is a known bug (#318942) and is identified in the release notes as a known issue for the HP mini.

I did manage to find a workaround to use until an official fix is released:

In Synaptic:

Add these to your repository sources:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/minichoco-team/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/minichoco-team/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Click "Reload" and "Mark all Upgrades"

Also make sure these two packages are installed:

alsa-source
    module-assistant

Click Apply to apply changes.

As root, edit /etc/alsa/alsa-source.conf
    On line 11 you should have:
    ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"

In terminal:
    sudo m-a a-i alsa-source

Reboot and then un-mute headphone & speaker in volume control.

You should now have sound from both the speaker and headphone jack.

Caveats:
    - You may need to un-mute the headphone and speaker to hear sounds after each reboot. Click the volume control and un-mute.
    - You may want to mute the PC beep. Click the volume control, click "Preferences" and select the checkbox for PC Beep to make that track visible. Then mute the PC Beep.
    - Haven't tested the mic, so I don't know if that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I thought LPIA was a kernel, not a processor.

That being said, I only know of two versions of Ubuntu that use LPIA: the HP MIE and Aysiu's Ubuntu Remix and both of those versions have sound working out of the box.

If you are using a regular flavor of Ubuntu or Ubuntu Netbook Remix and this workaround didn't work for you, its probably because of some update you did (I updated and lost my sound).

You should really check out Aysiu's remix. Personally I haven't tried it, but it looks like it would be great for some people.

EDIT:
    Once I ran "sudo m-a a-i alsa-source" my sound started working again. Fun!
    Last edited by kevindubrow; June 30th, 2009 at 05:06 PM.
    HP Mini 1020nr

Beans

LPIA - Low Powered Intel Architecture, as far from what I understand it is achtitecture for the ATOM CPU.

With that out of the way,

I tried the Aysiu's remix and it fixes sound BUT BREAKS Bluetooth! Also per his webpage he only supports the HP MINI 1120, hence maybe why the BT doesn't work.
    And YES I did already tried to recomplie the Broadcom LTA drivers and it still doesn't work.

So right now, there isn't one Distro out that makes the HP MINI 1000 100% functional.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindubrow View Post
    I thought LPIA was a kernel, not a processor.

That being said, I only know of two versions of Ubuntu that use LPIA: the HP MIE and Aysiu's Ubuntu Remix and both of those versions have sound working out of the box.

If you are using a regular flavor of Ubuntu or Ubuntu Netbook Remix and this workaround didn't work for you, its probably because of some update you did (I updated and lost my sound).

You should really check out Aysiu's remix. Personally I haven't tried it, but it looks like it would be great for some people.

EDIT:
    Once I ran "sudo m-a a-i alsa-source" my sound started working again. Fun!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd help fix Bluetooth, except that I have no Bluetooth devices...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast