Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: notification balloons location - how to change?

Beans

Re: notification balloons location - how to change?

Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    U can revert to the older style notification by (commands in terminal):

1. Install the notification-daemon package:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install notification-daemon
    2. Rename the /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd executable

Code:
    sudo mv /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd-original
    3. Create a symbolic link:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd
    4. Kill the original notification:

Code:
    sudo killall notify-osd
    5. Launch the new notification - press alt+F2, type /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd

6. Test:

Code:
    notify-send test test
    With this older notification type u can use the notification-ptoperties tool to set the location of the notification pop ups

Thank you thank you thank you!

This worked perfectly for me on Karmic. The main problem I have with the notify-osd is watching recordings in mythtv. I have a wide screen 16:9 monitor running 1280x720 and the videos are playing in 4:3, with black bars on the side margins. Well, every time I tried to change the system volume with the built in volume controls on the keyboard, the notify osd would place half of the bubble outside the borders of the video in the margin, and then a few seconds later, the bubble would disappear, leaving half of it sitting in the margin. This remnant of the volume osd would then sit there until i left the full screen video mode. Of course, I could use the mythtv internal volume controls, but they havent worked right since I install .22, and that's a whole other story.

Now when I installed the notification-daemon, it places the volume bubble bottom center, where it disappears as soon as it times out.

Beans
    Hidden!

I agree that not being able to change the position of the notifications to each user's liking is stupid, and I too will follow the instruction above and revert back to the standard Gnome notification daemon if it is indeed not possible with NotifyOSD.

But look here in the design specification for NotifyOSD, it talks about three possible different positions, one being the bottom right corner - and "a gconf key determining which of three positioning schemes are used".

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD#Ou...20the%20bubble

So, might it be possible to edit gconf after all, or am I missing something here?

Beans
    Hidden!

^ttt^

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    U can revert to the older style notification by (commands in terminal):

1. Install the notification-daemon package:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install notification-daemon
    2. Rename the /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd executable

Code:
    sudo mv /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd-original
    3. Create a symbolic link:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd
    4. Kill the original notification:

Code:
    sudo killall notify-osd
    5. Launch the new notification - press alt+F2, type /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd

6. Test:

Code:
    notify-send test test
    With this older notification type u can use the notification-ptoperties tool to set the location of the notification pop ups
    Works perfect, now, how to get the standard notification balloon to respect the theme colors?..

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, that solution works, but it is not necessary. There IS a way to change the position of notify-osd to your liking, with a patch. Check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8820555

The only question is HOW. The patch in that thread will simply move the notify balloon to the top screen edge, but it is obviously possible to edit it as you see fit. But I would need the help of someone much more experienced to do this!

But bottom line people - don't revert back to the old notification daemon. It IS possible to change the position of the new one.

If anybody could tell us how to get it to the bottom right corner (but rather with the same amount of distance to the screen edges as the original location, than right at the edges), please post either here or in that other thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: notification balloons location - how to change?

Thanks, gradinaruvasile! It worked perfectly in Lucid Beta 1, too.

Can anyone tell me how I move these "old-fashioned" notifications to the top left corner of the screen now?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

notify-osd position:

1)GRAVITY_NONE: the behaviour in Jaunty. A notification will always go into the top right corner.
    2)GRAVITY_EAST: the behaviour NotifyOsd has been having for about a week in Karmic's development cycle, with the notifications centered vertically on the screen.
    3)GRAVITY_NORTH_EAST: the Karmic behaviour. Works like GRAVITY_NONE but does not put asynchronous notifications on top of the screen, even if there is no synchronous notification being displayed.

I wonder how to trigger the notification showing by application ?For example,Network connected or unconnected?

Any body knows?

djstava

Beans

Thanks for the tips.

I have reverted back to the old notify because the top right of my X display is on my television, which is not likely to be turned on.

It seems like there are any number of sensible reasons to want to change the position of the notifican area. Forcing people to do ridiculously non-standard things to change simple configuration parameters is going to result in a lot of unhappy people, either because they can't reconfigure, or because the extreme steps they have to take to change the configuration will break something down the line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nifty GUI app to move OSD and change size etc in Lucid:

http://maketecheasier.com/easily-cus...cid/2010/05/26

Beans
    Hidden!

That's awesome.

It's about time! I've hated this for years!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast