Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I uninstall Ubuntu with my peculiar conditions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How do I uninstall Ubuntu with my peculiar conditions?

This computer is a dual-boot system with Windows Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu 8.04. I installed Ubuntu by following this: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...lled_first.htm. I want to remove the Ubuntu partition and give its space back to Vista.

I've been poking around the web on how to uninstall. They mostly gave the same answers. But, I have some problems which wouldn't make me able to follow other websites' instructions. That's when you guys come in.

Here are my problems:
    1. I don't have my Ubuntu Live CD.
    2. I don't have a Vista CD because this OS is built-in.
    But those are moot points, because
    3. My DVD drive doesn't work!

Now, how do I uninstall Ubuntu with those weird conditions of mine?

Thank you so much for being able to help.

Beans

Re: How do I uninstall Ubuntu with my peculiar conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by piovertwo View Post
    This computer is a dual-boot system with Windows Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu 8.04. I installed Ubuntu by following this: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...lled_first.htm. I want to remove the Ubuntu partition and give its space back to Vista.

I've been poking around the web on how to uninstall. They mostly gave the same answers. But, I have some problems which wouldn't make me able to follow other websites' instructions. That's when you guys come in.

Here are my problems:
    1. I don't have my Ubuntu Live CD.
    2. I don't have a Vista CD because this OS is built-in.
    But those are moot points, because
    3. My DVD drive doesn't work!

Now, how do I uninstall Ubuntu with those weird conditions of mine?

Thank you so much for being able to help.
    Some people might see this as being mean, but:

You probably need to go to a windows forum or other windows related resource.

It's just the facts. You want to keep windows as your main partition, not ubuntu (which you want erased). We're not windows experts and might not be familiar with exactly what you need to do (You've said it yourself, your conditions are peculiar) and all the particulars involved with windows vista. And if you don't have a backup or windows vista installation disk, that makes it even riskier...

You need to keep windows working and need help with modifying the mbr (master boot record) and the boot sector and all of this. And you need info specific to windows...

Good luck.
    Last edited by paradigm2; April 24th, 2009 at 09:08 PM.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

From memory, if you did a wubi install from vista.. Isn't there an option to uninstall it from programs in the control panel?

Otherwise just remove grub by following these instructions...

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/gru...aq.en.html#q12

Then delete the linux partition from the vista partition manager...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you guys for pitching in.

And, yes. I may have to refer this to a Windows forum.

Will simply deleting and deactivating GRUB before the partition work? I've been thinking about it. But I'm not too sure.

New Question:
    I still want to keep Ubuntu, but I want to downsize its partition and give some back to my Windows partition. This is alongside upgrading to 9.04. Can I do that?

Because if I can, I wouldn't have to delete Ubuntu at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

If you are currently running Intrepid Ibex, you can upgrade with the command
    Code:
    sudo update-manager -d
    Then select the offered distribution upgrade. I would wait several days before try this method, The servers a usually under very high load after a new release, so your upgrade could take much much longer.

It used to be fairly common practice to burn a gparted lice cd and use it for resizing partitions. I have not heard much talk about it for a while, but I have used the gparted disk in the past and it worked like a charm.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

lol. meant gparted live, not super grub...all the talk about mbr got me mixed up...edited above anr replaced super grub with gparted.
    Last edited by spiderbatdad; April 25th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't know about partitioning with SuperGRUB, but there's another one called the GPartEd Live CD that is specifically set up for partitioning operations.

Of course, all of this may be moot, since piovertwo has stated his DVD drive doesn't work. Does it just not work under Ubuntu, or in Windows, as well? You might need to go get another one and install it. They're cheap these days...$15 or $20.
    73 from Glenn - KG5UC "Mungo just pawn in game of Life"
    Bump Thread Post #39000 - How To Partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by piovertwo View Post
    Thank you guys for pitching in.
    Will simply deleting and deactivating GRUB before the partition work? I've been thinking about it. But I'm not too sure.

New Question:
    I still want to keep Ubuntu, but I want to downsize its partition and give some back to my Windows partition. This is alongside upgrading to 9.04. Can I do that?

Because if I can, I wouldn't have to delete Ubuntu at all.
    Ah! Well, if you remove GRUB you will have no more boot at all. That means no system at all. Zilch.

Removing GRUB from a dual boot with Vista is trickier than just using a boot device and MS-DOS fdisk /mbr to rebuild the boot sector.

If you just want to resize the partitions, Vista has a decent partition manager (somewhere in disk management?) or you can use parted or gparted in Ubuntu.

You can also do that, if you're installing 9.04 fresh, during the disk partition management which occurs during installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Will simply resizing the Ubuntu partition not hurt it? Like, let's say, from 35 GB I make it 20 GB. Would that work fine?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

should be fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just curious, why are you deleting an OS that actually works and keeping the biggest failure of all times as your OS?

Since it's an embedded OS, must have a restore option, one that allows you to return to factory settings, mine had it, just save all your data because it may wipe it down and go to the restoring software and choose factory settings, this will return your vista to the day you bought it.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast